United Kingdom
Last edited by KiiWii,

Brenry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What's the consensus for reliability with this? Just seeing exFAT has my teeth grinding. All that bias against the format with Switch users going on about file corruption.

Couple of thoughts with this guide and also after watching Modded Warfare's video on this, is some particular wording. Now I remember specifically back on 4.05 youtubers would post videos of cramming as much stuff as they could. I think seanp had like 8tb worth of pkgs installed. However, in the guide and also MW's there is excessive use of USB Thumb Drive. Why? I'm really confused on why someone would use take the extra effort of doing so only to use a limited storage device over a large format.

Secondly curious about if someone could chime in what they've heard about during this past year after people using exFAT. I blatantly ignored warnings of file corruption on the Switch and ultimately was forced to toss a 256gig microsd into the dump after it was thrashed with Retroarch roms.

Was the rampant corruption only relevant to exFAT microsd and not thumb stick/usb drive ?

D

Deleted User

What's the consensus for reliability with this? Just seeing exFAT has my teeth grinding. All that bias against the format with Switch users going on about file corruption.

Couple of thoughts with this guide and also after watching Modded Warfare's video on this, is some particular wording. Now I remember specifically back on 4.05 youtubers would post videos of cramming as much stuff as they could. I think seanp had like 8tb worth of pkgs installed. However, in the guide and also MW's there is excessive use of USB Thumb Drive. Why? I'm really confused on why someone would use take the extra effort of doing so only to use a limited storage device over a large format.

Secondly curious about if someone could chime in what they've heard about during this past year after people using exFAT. I blatantly ignored warnings of file corruption on the Switch and ultimately was forced to toss a 256gig microsd into the dump after it was thrashed with Retroarch roms.

Was the rampant corruption only relevant to exFAT microsd and not thumb stick/usb drive ?

Need exfat on ps4 or let ps4 format it for you

No issues here with exfat on ps4s and switches

Reactions: Brenry and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Brenry exfat is only option (for larger than 4gb files) as PS4 doesn’t support NTFS I think.

I have a 2tb drive as exfat and it works fine. Never had an issue since I started HEN in the 4.05 days.

The guide recommends minimum 64gb thumb drive. You can have up to 8tb internal and 8tb external, (even more if using apptousb).

Reactions: Brenry

BionicGecko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

The problem with exfat on the Switch is due to Nintendo's implementation of the exfat driver. Not all features of exfat are implemented correctly on the Switch; normally the Switch is not meant to write on the SD card in the way that Retroarch does. Nintendo obviously only cares about what it officially uses.

Last edited by BionicGecko,
Reactions: Brenry

Medveitsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

why did you throw it away?

Brenry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep yep. Appreciate the input guys. The bit about Nintendo not implementing all of exFAT's features makes sense. I'm not what sure what the technicalities include, but that's good enough for me.

My concern about the whole issue was if these guides were focusing on smaller format Thumb Drives if long-term reliability were an issue; and if large format would be prone to corruption ... implying it better to store original .pkgs on NAS/PC and only install titles when intending on playing.

NTFS wasn't a thought, I suppose I should have brought that up had Fat32 in mind, as I recall Xbox 360/PS3 both using Fat32 (along with encouraged on Switch) and used file splicers in 4 gig chunks on large files.

Regarding Medveitsi's question why I threw away the microsd formatted in exFat. Because I was unable to bandage over bad sectors using various drive utilities. Even trying to partition outside the range of bad blocks it simply would not format. The combination of exFat and Retroarch (and thousands of tiny roms) was literally like taking a knife blade all over a CD.

Last edited by Brenry,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?