Can this bypassing the region lock?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tuck_kor, Jan 5, 2012.

Jan 5, 2012
  1. tuck_kor
    OP

Newcomer tuck_kor Member

Malaysia
    Sorry, I am kinda noob to hacking theories, correct me if I am wrong.

I had read a news stating that the 3DS machine actually doesn't region locking the game, it is the game (software) that does the region locking, which means in another word, the game publisher can make the game region free if they want to (by not adding the region code into the game cartridge), but apparently no a single game publisher do so, at least at this moment.

Well, let's say if this is true (only game does the region lock, machine don't), since some roms have been dumped, why don't we just make a comparison on the codes for the same game but at different region, i.e. Mario 3D land N.A. and Mario 3D land EU. I believe most of the data should be similar, but there might just a slight different, and that must be the region locking code. So by remove that code, or change to N.A. code, can it be made into N.A. region game?

If the above theories is feasible, then we might be able to apply the same thing to Japanese 3DS game, and making it also region free.

Well, it is just some thoughts that suddenly crossed my mind after I read the article, may be it is wrong from the start, but I would be glad if this can be true. Nintendo region locking policy is sucks!

2. elisherer

Member elisherer I ♥ 3DS

Israel
    Not exactly...
    The machine, Per se, doesn't region lock...

The publisher uses a certain 'Home menu' to load its application. He needs to choose between the 3 menus available...JPN,USA,EUR
    It's hardcoded inside the cartridge's memory.
    If the specified menu doesn't exist on the machine you don't see the cartridge on the menu.

If there were a 'Home menu' that existed on all the machines you would have been right.

P.S. Even when you download free applications from the eShop they are different in every region. no region free flag or something of that kind.

EDIT: as a result, if the 3ds gets hacked. changing the region would be possible instantly just by changing the loader's title inside the rom's header...

1 person likes this.
  3. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    1) cant play roms
    2) roms they are probably encrypted, i havnt checked. meaning the data wont be the same at all.
    3) both the games and system have regions, hence why the locking works

this is just off the top of my head. i could be wrong, but its unlikely

EDIT: now i think about it, I am not sure if the ROMS are encrypted at all.

4. tuck_kor
    OP

Newcomer tuck_kor Member

Malaysia
    I see, very interesting info. Thanks for clearing up the things :D

5. MovieGuy

Newcomer MovieGuy Member

Netherlands
    I'm not sure but I think there are more differences than just the region lock data

I think NA doesn't get the same language files as EU gets right?

so there are more differences than region lock data

6. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Or, in the case of a softmod and legally imported games, a simple homebrew application could boot the cartridge.

7. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    i thought the softmod would be impossible becuase if 3DS notices an firmware change thats not from nintendo it bricks

8. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    not if someone patches out those checks in the firmware. ;)

9. andibad

Member andibad Soon™

Indonesia
    @overlord: the main problem about update, nintendo is always update every month also new game is needed new update if is needed. nintendo trying to kill them too. the solution never update you system if want softmod?

10. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    OP you're not right about this.

The region flag is changeable, yes, but how the hell are you supposed to load a rom on the 3ds? Unless crown3ds turns out legit you can't.
    Not to mention the roms are _SIGNED_ and if you modify ANYTHING it breaks the signature, and the 3ds will not accept it at all. Could we figure out signing? Yes. Will it be within a year or two? NO F@CKING WAY. Could crown3ds be legit? Maybe, but so far it's far from confirmed.

In short: IT WON'T WORK THAT EASILY. Sorry.

I'm not saying it would be impossible BUT that would BY FAR be the hardest and longest path to region free things. (region free meaning you modify, for example, the region flag of Super Mario 3D Land N.A. to Super Mario 3D Land EU)
    Just be patient and maybe by the end of the year or next year you'll be able to do something. Why is everyone expecting the 3DS to to be hacked _THIS VERY SECOND_ ?

11. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Beyond the already mentioned "we might be able to patch these checks", has anyone actually confirmed these checks to be true? There's the super-short reference to it in a talk someone gave at 28c3, but it sounded more like something he'd heard through the grapevine rather than something he'd found out by reversing and researching the 3DS.

12. elisherer

Member elisherer I ♥ 3DS

Israel
    You are right my mistake...
    I change my position...Changing the loader's title wouldn't be possible without knowing how the RSA signature is made...
    so region free/changing woudln't be linked to changing the roms but changing the loader itself (much like the wii's cIOS)

just buy games :) it's a lot easier...