Homebrew Can the Wii U dump Gamecube games

Gaming Legend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I wanted to dump the gamecube games that I have because the amount of scratches they have. I don't own a wii but I assume that the Wii U could dump gamecube games right? If it can't what's a good cd drive to buy to dump the copies.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Unfortunately this is not possible on the Wii U. (I believe that not even on the Wii, but I'm not sure)

D

Deleted User

It's admirable that some people try to keep it on the up and up but just search google for gamecube isos. No Wii U cannot dump Gamecube games.

Gamecube games are old now who cares if you pirate them. And if you own the game it's not even really pirating.

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dumped my entire collection of cube games on the wii, then put them on multi-iso discs. after that, I used dios mios, now it's nintendont, but I still have the dios mios files inside the game folders. it doesn't harm nintendont as they're ignored, so I just left them in.

D

Deleted User

Exactly what I said Wii U cannot, Wii can. What you're talking about is only possible on regular Wii OP said specifically they don't have a regular Wii so why do you contradict what I said? I am right.

Last edited by ,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it's possible on the wii. there's an app called I think clean rip that can do it. I know of no way to do this with the wii u though.
It is CleanRip. Works on GameCube, Wii and vWii with the limitations of each drive (see below)
https://github.com/emukidid/cleanrip/releases

Hey everyone! I wanted to dump the gamecube games that I have because the amount of scratches they have. I don't own a wii but I assume that the Wii U could dump gamecube games right? If it can't what's a good cd drive to buy to dump the copies.
Oh my… scratches on game discs aren't good. Often console drives struggle at reading them, but it depends; case-by-case basis.

As for the question what drive can rip the games: Only some older IDE drives mentioned for example here:
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/RawDump
Easier to get and (prices have gone up a little in 2020) and faster at dumping is a Wii. RVL-001 model (with official GC backwards compatibility). If you are willing to buy a PC drive just for dumping games you might want consider buying a Wii instead. Dumping with a PC drive is really slow (2 hours a GC game) and often throws errors, needs multiple tries. I only did it for one game that no GC or Wii would read anymore because of scratches.

CleanRip runs on all three (GameCube, Wii and Wii U), but can only dump those games that the drive supports:

GameCube → Obviously only GC discs. Others will not fit in and laser cannot move far enough outwards for full size discs.
Wii (RVL-001) → Both GC and Wii discs
Wii (RVL-101, RVL-201) → Only Wii discs. RVL-101 will not catch and center 8cm mini-DVD (no idea what the drive firmware would do) and RVL-201 (Wii Mini) drive rejects GC discs in firmware.
Wii U → Only Wii discs. Drive will not catch and center mini-DVD and I'm pretty sure the drive firmware would reject GC discs. Of course there is a dumper for Wii U games in Wii U mode but CleanRip doesn't Wii U discs.

Good luck and have fun!

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if you own the game it's not even really pirating.
This depends on where you live. In the US you have to make your own backup from your own original media. Downloading someone else's backup is still piracy. On the other hand, don't pay scalpers scalper prices for anything, no one is hurt by downloading Game Cube games. Legality and morals aren't always aligned.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii U → Only Wii discs. Drive will not catch and center mini-DVD and I'm pretty sure the drive firmware would reject GC discs. Of course there is a dumper for Wii U games in Wii U mode but CleanRip doesn't rip Wii U discs.
Two, actually. One rips the raw disc, the other the installable files.
This depends on where you live. In the US you have to make your own backup from your own original media. Downloading someone else's backup is still piracy. On the other hand, don't pay scalpers scalper prices for anything, no one is hurt by downloading Game Cube games. Legality and morals aren't always aligned.
Piracy, even of new stuff, only hurts a bad product by word-of-mouth. Good products benefit both from that word and a large chunk of pirates appreciating good stuff and buying it if it's new (or remastered) - and even if that weren't true, Da Law isn't exactly going to hang you in the square for downloading a copy of a game you own over ripping it. (Especially with interoperability - Wii U doesn't accept GameCube discs even though it can run the games)

The consumer's right to choose is the cornerstone of capitalism, lads. That's a big reason why big business loves commie China so much.

Last edited by N7Kopper,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?