Can someone teach me how to RomHack, Please?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Elianis88, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Elianis88
    OP

Elianis88 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    France
    Hello,

I wanted to "Hack" a Rom, and play with Hans.
    I already know that I can "Patch" a game, with Hans, with the Romfs.bin.
    But the problem is that I don't know how to have access to "Inside" the Romfs.bin, and exeFS.bin folders, I dumped a game with braindump, and I just have that.

So, someone who know can tell me how to modify the RomFS and the ExeFS?
    The game is "Ace Attorney Trilogy".

I am French, so my English isn't perfect... I hope you will understand (I'm not that bad, too.)

2. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    You have the romfs file, which contains the game data. In order to modify the assets, you'll need to extract them from the romfs. Ctrtool has a feature that can do this, however the file structure inside each game may be different. Here's a tutorial that might be useful, the romfs extraction is described in step 3. Also with the latest version of Hans, you can ignore step 6 as Hans no longer needs trimmed romfs files.

3. Elianis88
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    France
    Ok, thank you, I'll try ASAP.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When I launch ctrtool, there is a black window, but it disappear after 1 second, is it normal?

4. 100pcrack

100pcrack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 18, 2015
    Hackin'
  5. TamDanny

TamDanny GBATemp 3DS Fanatic

Aug 20, 2015
    Mexico
    ctrtool is actually a program that can only be used with Command Line (or cmd). You should probably check out that tutorial that NekoMichi put & see the instructions to extract the romfs.

6. Elianis88
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    France
    I noticed that, and I exctracted two folders:
    Romsfdir and exefs.
    In romfsdir, I have a "Pack.dat", "Pack.inc", and "serial.srt", and a folder named "Sounds".
    Inside, I have "GS123.bcsar" (The original name of the game is Gyakuten Saiban 123, I think GS123=Gyakuten Saiban 123) and "Stream" folder, wich contains many BGM.(Something).bcstm sounds, but when I read them with YATA +, who can read Bcstm song, I hear nothing.

7. Elianis88
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    France
    I think the most important is the .bcsar file, in my case.
    Anyone know how to open it? I try with Notepad++ but I don't understand anything...
    Edit: Good news! I opened all of the bcstm by converting them in WAV. By the way, if someone want it, I can upload the beautiful full OST of Ace Attorney.

Last edited by Elianis88, Nov 5, 2015
    NekoMichi likes this.