Can PAl region Gamecube display 480p?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by punpin_04, Sep 7, 2019.

1. punpin_04
    OP

punpin_04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2019
    Turkey
    Can softmodded pal gamecube display 480p with NTSC region games?

If it is not possible, is there any way to pal gamecube display 480p?

I'm currently using RGB scart.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    No 480P is NTSC your looking at 576i

punpin_04 likes this.
  3. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    You can force 480p with swiss if you have a rgb cable.

punpin_04 likes this.
  4. punpin_04
    OP

punpin_04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2019
    Turkey
    Do I need to buy an action replay disc? Because I'm currently using Super Smash Bros Melee exploit to play backup games.

5. Dogson

Dogson Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Sweden
    RGB through scart is a regionfree signal in either 50Hz or 60Hz depending on how the software was coded (US releases or European releases with a 50/60Hz select screen), not the Gamecube. As long as the system and TV supports RGB you can run games in 60Hz, however you'll get 240p or an interlaced signal unless you force 480p which is possible with some games. But whether you can force 480p or not for a game doesn't have anything to do with region coding at all.

You can only get 480p on newer CRT sets (usually the widescreen ones from the mid 2000s) or on modern LCD's etc. With older CRT's you're stuck with 480i/576i, but if it's a good CRT with RGB scart it'll look really good still and produce an image with minimal aliasing. (according to many including myself 480i RGB on a CRT looks better than 480p on an LCD, aliasing gets too noticable)

Last edited by Dogson, Sep 7, 2019
    punpin_04 likes this.
  6. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    Nope, any kind of exploit works. You need to burn a swiss disk I through think

punpin_04 likes this.
  7. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Pretty sure you need to buy one of those expensive official GameCube component cable or the third party HDMI adapter (still expensive) to get 480p display.

Ryccardo and punpin_04 like this.
  8. punpin_04
    OP

punpin_04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2019
    Turkey
    My gamecube is not chipped to run burned discs. Will I be able to run burned swiss disc?

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. Dogson

Dogson Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Sweden
    Sca
    Yeah, for the gamecube specifically you can't do 480p through Scart (even if the standard supports it)

if you want proper 480p RGB on a CRT you'll either have to get the GC component cable, or just play on a Wii where component cables are dirt cheap.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If your GC isn't chipped you can't run burned ISO's

punpin_04 likes this.
  10. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    You are really better off buying a Wii with the Gamecube controller ports, a cheap external HDD, Wii component cable and spending an afternoon learning to softmod and install Nintendont to get 480p on the NTSC games or even force 480p on PAL games (results are hit and miss but it's worth a try if PAL ISOs are all you have on your computer).

punpin_04 likes this.
  11. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

In this case you will need the Gamecube SD Media Launcher includes the Action Replay with included Codes,FREELOADER and an SD Gecko.

index.
    With that you can load SWISS from SD Card and then backup Games.:)

Thank you.:)

punpin_04 likes this.
  12. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    Ok, so I throught that a PAL gamecube, with an rgb cable (scart), could run ntsc games at forced 480p with swiss. Is that right?

13. punpin_04
    OP

punpin_04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2019
    Turkey
    Yeah. Actually, I asked for ntsc games because some people were saying it's impossible to run pal games in 480p.

14. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    gamecube won't output rgb at 480p. A technical issue.

pal games removed 480p in software.
    The digital AV port will work on a pal gamecube, but I don't think the component cable was sold in pal markets.

Ryccardo and alexander1970 like this.
  15. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    And also the price is insane.:angry:
    ....collector's item...:rolleyes:

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    @Lumstar is right, the gamecube's DAC only supports the standard TV resolutions (and only NTSC or PAL+RGB color depending on model), which is why the component (or rgb with a simple mod) cable has to provide one itself!

alexander1970 likes this.
  17. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Well hardly anybody cares the DAC isn't completely understood. I've tried several times to ask for technical information about modding the gamecube's composite video color encoding between NTSC and PAL, most responses dismiss the idea as pointless.

18. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The problem is that Nintendo consoles don't really have service manuals (unlike for example Sony's) so it's hard to give an educated guess to what custom chips do - but after having given it a look, I believe there's no way to change the color encoding in software (no obvious external colorburst oscillator to at least turn a console from standard NTSC to NTSC 4.43, the fact that there are separate DACs for PAL and NTSC...)