GCN Can PAl region Gamecube display 480p?

punpin_04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Can softmodded pal gamecube display 480p with NTSC region games?

If it is not possible, is there any way to pal gamecube display 480p?

I'm currently using RGB scart.

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No 480P is NTSC your looking at 576i
RGB through scart is a regionfree signal in either 50Hz or 60Hz depending on how the software was coded (US releases or European releases with a 50/60Hz select screen), not the Gamecube. As long as the system and TV supports RGB you can run games in 60Hz, however you'll get 240p or an interlaced signal unless you force 480p which is possible with some games. But whether you can force 480p or not for a game doesn't have anything to do with region coding at all.

You can only get 480p on newer CRT sets (usually the widescreen ones from the mid 2000s) or on modern LCD's etc. With older CRT's you're stuck with 480i/576i, but if it's a good CRT with RGB scart it'll look really good still and produce an image with minimal aliasing. (according to many including myself 480i RGB on a CRT looks better than 480p on an LCD, aliasing gets too noticable)

Last edited by Dogson,
Reactions: punpin_04

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sca
Pretty sure you need to buy one of those expensive official GameCube component cable or the third party HDMI adapter (still expensive) to get 480p display.
Yeah, for the gamecube specifically you can't do 480p through Scart (even if the standard supports it)

if you want proper 480p RGB on a CRT you'll either have to get the GC component cable, or just play on a Wii where component cables are dirt cheap.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My gamecube is not chipped to run burned discs. Will I be able to run burned swiss disc?
If your GC isn't chipped you can't run burned ISO's

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are really better off buying a Wii with the Gamecube controller ports, a cheap external HDD, Wii component cable and spending an afternoon learning to softmod and install Nintendont to get 480p on the NTSC games or even force 480p on PAL games (results are hit and miss but it's worth a try if PAL ISOs are all you have on your computer).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
My gamecube is not chipped to run burned discs. Will I be able to run burned swiss disc?
Hello.:)

In this case you will need the Gamecube SD Media Launcher includes the Action Replay with included Codes,FREELOADER and an SD Gecko.

index.jpg

With that you can load SWISS from SD Card and then backup Games.:)

Thank you.:)

Tumoche

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, so I throught that a PAL gamecube, with an rgb cable (scart), could run ntsc games at forced 480p with swiss. Is that right?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I throught that a PAL gamecube, with an rgb cable (scart), could run ntsc games at forced 480p with swiss. Is that right?

gamecube won't output rgb at 480p. A technical issue.

Yeah. Actually, I asked for ntsc games because some people were saying it's impossible to run pal games in 480p.

pal games removed 480p in software.
The digital AV port will work on a pal gamecube, but I don't think the component cable was sold in pal markets.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Lumstar is right, the gamecube's DAC only supports the standard TV resolutions (and only NTSC or PAL+RGB color depending on model), which is why the component (or rgb with a simple mod) cable has to provide one itself!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
@Lumstar is right, the gamecube's DAC only supports the standard TV resolutions (and only NTSC or PAL+RGB color depending on model), which is why the component (or rgb with a simple mod) cable has to provide one itself!

Well hardly anybody cares the DAC isn't completely understood. I've tried several times to ask for technical information about modding the gamecube's composite video color encoding between NTSC and PAL, most responses dismiss the idea as pointless.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well hardly anybody cares the DAC isn't completely understood. I've tried several times to ask for technical information about modding the gamecube's composite video color encoding between NTSC and PAL, most responses dismiss the idea as pointless.
The problem is that Nintendo consoles don't really have service manuals (unlike for example Sony's) so it's hard to give an educated guess to what custom chips do - but after having given it a look, I believe there's no way to change the color encoding in software (no obvious external colorburst oscillator to at least turn a console from standard NTSC to NTSC 4.43, the fact that there are separate DACs for PAL and NTSC...)

Megadaeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

No, you can't get 480p through the "Analog AV" port with scart or any other cable, you need to use the "Digital AV" port with a GCVideo hdmi device like a GC Video Plug n Play/Carby/GCHD or a Component cable to get 480p from a PAL Gamecube, if you have that you dont need a NTSC game to get 480p you can force your PAL games to run in 480p.
If you not have cash to spend on a GCVideo hdmi device like GC Video Plug n Play/Carby/GCHD/Component you can now buy a clone/copy of the GC Video Plug n Play for $40

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And CARBY have released a Component cable to.

GodofLoot427

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there i've got major problems with my GC Setup and i hope you guys know better than me or can help me ..

I'm using a Swiss- and also Xeno- modded PAL - GC with the carby V2 HDMI Adapter and my Standart 1080p HD TV .
Most of the Games are booting in 480i NTSC , and they dont look nice at all.
Very very blurry, not like it should be especially with the carby Adapter.
However if i force the game via swiss to any higher res, there is a error saying" File too fragmented ?" OR the Game wont even get displayed.

PLEASE help, i cant get it.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1