Can installing Priiloader brick my Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by random_human_being_, Feb 22, 2016.

1. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    According to the Complete Softmod Guide installing Priiloader through the HBC should not carry any risk. However, googling brings up some people who claim that installing it bricked their system. How likely is it to happen? Can I take any step to prevent it?

Should it make I difference, I have some cIOS installed in slots above 200. All slots under that are Stub or No Patches, with the exception of IOS58, which reads USB 2.0

2. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I've installed priiloader many times before on mines, and friends wii and nothing has happened. I don't think the cIOS should be a problem, as I also had many cIOS installed to play backups, cIOS for both usb ports to be used on ULGX, cIOS for specific games, and etc. In fact, priiloader saved a few of my friends' wiis as they bricked it, and priiloader helped them get back into bootmii and used their wii system backup to unbrick. So I say DEFINITELY install priiloader.

3. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Is the procedure from the guide I linked the best one or would you recommend installing it some other way?

4. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    No need for guides, they sometimes make your life a lot more confusing by putting unnecessary stuff. So basically you do the same thing as with any other app; put the .dol (or .elf I can't remember been a long time since doing this) in the priiloader folder which should bee in the apps folder so like this:

SD\apps\priiloader\boot.dol

Then open the app from homebrew channel and follow on screen instructions. It'll take max a minute to initialize then I think it'll tell you to use button 1 and 2 (maybe a and b not sure) to install. Look at a youtube video installing priiloader if unsure.

Good luck!

KiiWii likes this.
  5. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Installed Priiloader on countless wiis without issue. Highly recommended.

Last edited by KiiWii, Feb 22, 2016
  6. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    Priiloader have tendency to brick Wii. Especially when You are impatient and do some irresponsible stuff like power cycle or reset during process.

7. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    How could one possibly do that? It took me something like 5 seconds to install it!

8. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    PimpMyWii users and 8yo wii hackers I believe.