Homebrew can i......with godmode9?

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK so today i got my new flashcart to replace my old one that did not support the 3ds and I only care about one save on that flash cart, GTA China town wars.
I have not checked the SD card in a looong time and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of viruses on it.
So I thought about what could not be infected by viruses and then I thought : MY 3DS
So my question is can I put this .sav somewhere in my 3ds that won't break it so that I can remove the old flashcart's SD card and insert the new one and move the save file.
Is that possible?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
OK so today i got my new flashcart to replace my old one that did not support the 3ds and I only care about one save on that flash cart, GTA China town wars.
I have not checked the SD card in a looong time and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of viruses on it.
So I thought about what could not be infected by viruses and then I thought : MY 3DS
So my question is can I put this .sav somewhere in my 3ds that won't break it so that I can remove the old flashcart's SD card and insert the new one and move the save file.
Is that possible?
Got a n3DS?
If you have ctrnand Luma3DS you could just put the SD card in the 3DS and use MicroSD Management to access it from your PC. Don't worry, you won't be infected through the file share unless you run suspicious looking .exe/.bat files etc.

xJoelituh

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Virus for the most part can only affect one particular Operative System so your 3ds is fine no matter what.

As @Joom said, that unless you are running XP sp2, you don't have to worry, if you really think you have virus on your SD card, just backup the games/saves and flashcard's Kernel, format it and also you could run a scan from your antivirus.

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Virus for the most part can only affect one particular Operative System so your 3ds is fine no matter what.

As @Joom said, that unless you are running XP sp2, you don't have to worry, if you really think you have virus on your SD card, just backup the games/saves and flashcard's Kernel, format it and also you could run a scan from your antivirus.
I know my 3ds will be fine :P
Is there any other way? Like can I put it in the ram in some way so I can take out my flashcart's sd up card and put my main in and copy?

xJoelituh

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I know my 3ds will be fine :P
Is there any other way? Like can I put it in the ram in some way so I can take out my flashcart's sd up card and put my main in and copy?
To be honest, I'd just make sure that I have my antivirus on and connect it to the PC, it'd be easier..

xJoelituh

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can copy files to the CTR Nand.
He won't be able to use Godmode9 with the Flashcard's SD unless he connects it to the PC and puts the gm9.firm, and afaik you can't access to the Flashcard's SD from gm9, can you?

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He won't be able to use Godmode9 with the Flashcard's SD unless he connects it to the PC and puts the gm9.firm, and afaik you can't access to the Flashcard's SD from gm9, can you?
But ctrnand luma3ds does exactly that you can have luma in ctrnand and not on sd and I moved gm9 to ctrnand and it works fine

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

That was a very good security patch excuse me...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashcart saves are stored loosely on the SD card. I don't understand why you're trying to paste an .NDS save somewhere in your 3DS' internal memory. That makes absolutely no sense when you can literally just pull the save off the SD card, put it on your PC, save it on the desktop, format your SD card, and put it back on there with your rom and you're good to go.

Your flashcart can't access the save stored in the CTRNAND on your console so that's completely pointless.

Reactions: xJoelituh

Bynniock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you really don't want to plug your flashcard's SD in your computer directly, you could also boot gm9, swap your 3DS' SD card with your old flashcard's, put the save in GM9's ramdrive, swap the SD cards again and copy the save from the ramdrive to the destination SD card. Just make sure to manually unmount your SD cards before unplugging them.

But, you know, just plugging the SD card in a PC and scanning its contents with a good antivirus before touching any files should be just as safe.

Last edited by Bynniock,

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flashcart saves are stored loosely on the SD card. I don't understand why you're trying to paste an .NDS save somewhere in your 3DS' internal memory. That makes absolutely no sense when you can literally just pull the save off the SD card, put it on your PC, save it on the desktop, format your SD card, and put it back on there with your rom and you're good to go.

Your flashcart can't access the save stored in the CTRNAND on your console so that's completely pointless.
The sd card has a virus and I do not want to put it in my pc that's why

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I put it in the ctrnand and then remove the infected sd card I can put my new flash cart's sd card in and copy the save to it

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sd card has a virus and I do not want to put it in my pc that's why
Well I can understand that but viruses don't work that way as stated before. You have to run a program of sorts (or script) to install it. It won't infect your system automatically if one is present with current versions of Windows.

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I can understand that but viruses don't work that way as stated before. You have to run a program of sorts (or script) to install it. It won't infect your system automatically if one is present with current versions of Windows.
Ok I guess

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without putting it in the PC, how do you even know it has a virus? Pretty sure any CIA file you find around here wouldn't contain one since most are spoken for. I guess if you downloaded a game from some freeware site it could but that's not very likely either as it more than likely would have been reported/removed. That and it's extremely unlikely altogether that you'd have a virus infecting your 3DS OR SD card unless you purposefully downloaded one to it from the PC. Not to mention there would be very little to gain from someone writing a virus in a homebrew program to cause your system to fail, vs stealing your private info in the background without your knowledge. Just saying....

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Without putting it in the PC, how do you even know it has a virus? Pretty sure any CIA file you find around here wouldn't contain one since most are spoken for. I guess if you downloaded a game from some freeware site it could but that's not very likely either as it more than likely would have been reported/removed. That and it's extremely unlikely altogether that you'd have a virus infecting your 3DS OR SD card unless you purposefully downloaded one to it from the PC. Not to mention there would be very little to gain from someone writing a virus in a homebrew program to cause your system to fail, vs stealing your private info in the background without your knowledge. Just saying....
Just an FYI, viruses can't be bound to any old file. A malicious entity can't just infect game ROMs of any type regardless because of the nature of the files. The reason why files like MP4s, MP3s, and JPEGs can be infected is because they have "empty space" (so to speak) in the file header that can be packed with anything. Video and music files especially are easy to infect because the codecs are "containers". Even then, it requires someone highly experienced with manipulation and packing to even infect these files without corrupting them. Also keep in mind that malware is always host specific. Windows malware won't infect a Linux host, and vice versa (fuck the assholes that say "b-b-but WINE", that's not a proper infection and can be mitigated by removing symlinks). So, even if the OP had a malicious ROM or homebrew it wouldn't affect their PC.

Last edited by Joom,

xJoelituh

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
And if you really have a virus on your SD card, if you have your antivirus software up to date it will most likely be autodetected and deleted or at least alert you, or you can just a virus scan there.

If it's just some kinda malware that you got from downloading some rom back in the day, just don't open any .exe, .bat files that are suspicious and you should be good to go.

I've downloaded by mistake or without even noticing these malwares and they have been lying on my pc for some days and nothing happened, they are inoffensive until you open them, deleting them it's always the safe bet.

Plus, you could always create a restore point/virtual machine/sandbox environment to be 100% sure you are safe, but there is no need to, if you have your antivirus..(first paragraph again.xd)

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not a .cia file

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's the virus, and what exactly is preventing you from removing it?
Nothing is preventing me from removing it, it's just that I don't want to infect it that's all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up