Can I update sysnand using daybreak?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I have unpatched switch with emunand running fw 18.0.0 & sysnand running 9.0.1, I want to update the sysnand to match the emunand, can I do this with daybreak app & should I choose fat32 only or fat32+exfat? Thanks

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have unpatched switch with emunand running fw 18.0.0 & sysnand running 9.0.1, I want to update the sysnand to match the emunand, can I do this with daybreak app & should I choose fat32 only or fat32+exfat? Thanks
If your sysNAND is clean, you can do it the official way as well. It should be safe to update to higher version via Daybreak, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't forget to update your Hekate and Atmosphere later for 18.1.0 support.

Personally, I'd stay on 9.0.1 on sysNAND unless you want to use it for legit online stuff? If you're using emuNAND to play backups or pirated games, I see no point in updating sysNAND.

Reactions: satel

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If your sysNAND is clean, you can do it the official way as well. It should be safe to update to higher version via Daybreak, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't forget to update your Hekate and Atmosphere later for 18.1.0 support.

Personally, I'd stay on 9.0.1 on sysNAND unless you want to use it for legit online stuff? If you're using emuNAND to play backups or pirated games, I see no point in updating sysNAND.
The reason why I want to update sysnand is when I want to change the microsd card I need to find files for 9.0.1 so I can create new emunand, it's easier if sysnand was up to date

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The reason why I want to update sysnand is when I want to change the microsd card I need to find files for 9.0.1 so I can create new emunand, it's easier if sysnand was up to date
Latest Atmosphere and sig patches should still work with 9.0.1.
If you do update via Daybreak, always select the same version (exFAT or no exFAT) that you have officially. The reason is when you install exFAT support officially it has to check in with Nintendo servers. And they log this info because they have to pay licensing fees for everybody that installs it. They could tell something is off if you suddenly have the exFAT version while Nintendo servers have no records of this. Or even vice versa.
Firmware can be installed offline through game carts (I think, not 100% sure if this is a thing on the Switch..) so updating via Daybreak itself is not necessarily suspicious. But you can only get the exFAT firmware (officially) the first time by connecting online. And once you have it, the exFAT version is always installed when updating.
There isn't really any point though, and it could be a needless ban risk. Updating the official way is recommended, since it's guaranteed safe.

Reactions: satel and 4d1xlaan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware can be installed offline through game carts (I think, not 100% sure if this is a thing on the Switch..) so updating via Daybreak itself is not necessarily suspicious
Depends if they log that it was installed via cartridge or not, though to be fair daybreak could just be leveraging that and pretending to the console that it was a cart update

Then they wouldnt see a difference on their end

Reactions: satel

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Depends if they log that it was installed via cartridge or not, though to be fair daybreak could just be leveraging that and pretending to the console that it was a cart update

Then they wouldnt see a difference on their end
It is supposed to work the exact same as stock but I don't know if that extends to logging in the exact same way as well. Generally, homebrew tries to not log anything where Nintendo can see it, so I kinda doubt it.

Anyway, not worth the risk.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: 4d1xlaan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-RPCS3-update-brings-big-performance-boost-for-low-end-CPUs.8490...