can i OC my laptop ?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by digipokemaster, Jun 26, 2016.

1. digipokemaster
    OP

digipokemaster Innocent Uke

Aug 20, 2009
    United States
    USA
    im wondering how i can OC my laptop but im not sure if i can or how to.

this is my specs

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz 41 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G551JW (SOCKET 0) 43 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 38 °C
    ForceWare version: 368.39
    SLI Disabled
    Storage
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 33 °C
    2048GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (TMax)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

2. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    don't overclock a laptop, their cooling isn't designed for that

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can try SetFSB which may or may not work depending on your CPU and laptop manufacturer, you will not get a huge increase in clock speed, due to heat as well as the fact that changing the FSB actually overclocks some other components in your system as well and they may make things unstable/crashy long before the CPU does.

In general I don't think it's worth it to overclock laptop CPUs. Your CPU is fairly modern so it should be powerful enough to run pretty much anything and the performance gains would be minimal, the GPU is more likely to be the bottleneck if you are gaming on it.
    You may be able to overclock the GPU - I am not sure on how to do that on a laptop though. You still wouldn't get big performance gains, maybe a couple FPS extra in games.
    Be very careful if you still want to overclock despite this, monitor the temps (both on the CPU and other components if you are changing the FSB) and make sure they don't get unusually high during stress tests and all that. I have successfully overclocked my laptop CPU in the past without temps increasing much, still within safe limits, but it wasn't really worth the miniscule performance gains and potential instability.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    With those specs, I don't really think you need to, but there should be options in the BIOS to overclock the parts. Overclocking could potentially cause the parts to break much faster, so just be careful.
    As vayanni8 said, the cooling in laptops isn't build for that. Some laptops have really poor cooling, which could melt some things inside it.

5. digipokemaster
    OP

Aug 20, 2009
    United States
    USA
    ah ok thanks is there anything i can do to get the best out of my laptop besides OC programs etc jsut curious i like to get the best out of my laptop if i can

6. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    You could use something like Razer Cortex or something that shuts off the background processes when you launch certain apps. If you're using it inside, you should keep it plugged in, or you could change the power mode to high power in the battery options.

7. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    99.8% of laptops do not allow OCing at all; the hardware cooling solution isn't upto it and the V-core changes while overclocking can't be handled on battery powered computing devices. What I'm saying is that OCing would increase powerdraw and thermals that the laptop isn't meant to handle.

8. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I would not recommend overclocking a laptop, but if you do, invest in one of these.

9. digipokemaster
    OP

Aug 20, 2009
    United States
    USA
    ok i wont OC but other info on what i could do to bring out the best of my laptop would help too

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    If you want OC your laptop which I read this page thent you shouldn't then get a powerful DESKTOP instead.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Jun 26, 2016
  11. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    United States
    Laptops typically already have enough trouble cooling system components under heavy load, and you want to OC it? Bad idea mate