1. UltraDolphinRevolution

OP UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    Trying to unzipping a file with WinRar gives me an CRC error code (aka "checksum").
    I'm not sure whether it's due to old age (which sometimes happens to zipped files, apparently) or the fact that I changed the clustersize.

I'm trying different programs to repair but no luck so far (the following link is better suited for lost files, not so much broken ones) (https://www.softwarehow.com/free-data-recovery-tools/)

Does anyone happen to know a method?

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    Download said thing again u can't fix it

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Old drives might corrupt or start to fail with time but files will not do it in and of themselves.

Three main scenarios.
    1) You put the wrong password in, assuming it has one
    2) You are using an old version/unsupported version somewhere along the line. New stuff is pretty good at dodging quirks of old versions though and it is not like a document or anything. This would also apply to things like file name errors (accents and what have you in the name causing troubles for some things).
    3) You do have a corrupt file. Bad download, bad hard drive, incomplete transfer... matters somewhat little.

Anyway you can sometimes force an extraction of what it has. It might still have the files you want and only ones you don't need are corrupt.

Winrar and some others do support a measure of parity which makes for a bigger archive but the ability to repair damage. Usenet groups and some others also use PAR (or more likely PAR2) files that will be able to fix some amount of corruption, though only in the files it expects to be there (got a bunch of rar files with a video in it and the end video will not be enough).

So yeah time to find a download of it all again if you can. If such things are personal files and you did not email them to someone else or upload them anywhere then now know why every person in IT suggests people keep backups of files, and occasionally test said backups.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - error, fixed,