Hacking Can buying a gateway go wrong?

pooshooter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm planning to buy a gateway from someone and well my question is that can this end badly? the only thing i know is that he states its a gateway ultra

some information:

- I have had only a Sky3ds Blue button Sold it to buy myself something that can play the new games.
- Is Gateway easier to use than a sky3ds? + / -
- if its a really old gateway can it be updated?
- can it be a dead cart?

also is there a way to download a 3ds? im reading the gateway website and it supports up to update 9.2 i'm on 9.9 because i let me brother play with the sky3ds and he updated ._. but noone has touched it for awhile since that update

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gateway cards can be updated with the launcher dat
to use the gateway now you need to downgrade to 9.2 or if you dont want to risk it wait for them to release a better downgrader

pooshooter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gateway cards can be updated with the launcher dat
to use the gateway now you need to downgrade to 9.2 or if you dont want to risk it wait for them to release a better downgrader

how long would that take? o.o i just found on guide in the tutorial section on downgrading im about to attempt.

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont know this is what it says on the gateway website
currently there exist homebrew methods to downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, allowing you to use your Gateway card already.
But the downgrade method is not recommended as it is error prone, dangerous and can lead to bricking.
We would like to provide our users with a more safe method, and this is one of the things we are working on.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could buy one now and wait for gateway 3ds downgrade method or use the sysupdater method, your choice. Just depends on if you have patience to wait on downgrading or not.

Last edited by cvskid,

pooshooter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i really want to play ff explorer :D i guess ill buy and wait for the downgrade i dont want to risk the whole bricking thing. but is it possible to fix a bricked 3ds?

D

Deleted User

I bought a Gateway years ago when it was only supporting 4.0-4.5. TBH, I haven't regretted the purchase as there's times I like to just toss a .3DS file and try out a game instead of installing a 3-4GB CIA.

Also having one handy makes setting up a new console a lot easier since you can just use their launcher to install BBM/DevMenu without having to go through the whole injection into H&S app etc..

It's good for what it is, a simple method to run ROMs and unsigned content. At this point though there's tons of homebrew that currently does everything GW did, but sometimes I still use the menu for features like NAND restore, backup, emunand creation etc..

Is it worth it? That's up to you. CFW is free and works great if you spend the time. I even bought a red cart Sky3DS that I keep a couple games like CN/OOT on for the times I may need it (got it for $15 after the blue button was released)

Other than that, I haven't regretted the purchase, but still has the lingering feeling of paying for a dongle. Once CXI loading is a thing for CFW, all GW has for it ease-of-use without the need for installing patches, downloading firmware binaries, or other 3rd party programs. Perhaps something to look forward to a GW downgrader for the <10.3 crowd.

Edit: If you're on the correct FW, then GW isn't a bad thing. The cart I bought 2 years ago still works to this day. There's no GW red button/blue button/neon green button

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr