Can a Wii U rip GameCube games?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NeatNit, Jan 22, 2016.

1. NeatNit
    OP

NeatNit Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    Iceland
    Hi,
    Currently I have a European up-to-date Wii U, which has never been hacked, and some American GameCube games that I want to rip.

Will this EVER be possible?

If I understand correctly, 5.5.1 can't be hacked at all, even on vWii. Furthermore, GameCube games can't be read on Wii U, even in vWii, right?

But is that likely to change with the upcoming kernel exploit? Will I be able to rip my games?

2. Vorde

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    In theory I think it's possible, but I believe that programming wise, it's a lot more trouble than it's worth

3. skystealer

skystealer Muah~

Aug 5, 2009
    United States
    Agniratha, Mechonis
    I'm pretty sure the Wii U disc drive doesn't even suck in Gamecube discs, no?

KiiWii likes this.
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Use a mini dvd to full size dvd adaptor. (I know it sounds mad, but they do exist!)

I don't see why it wouldn't work!

5. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The main issue is if the Wii U would allow reading GC discs once they are in the adapter so they do not get spat back out.

6. knm

knm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2012
    United States
    Last edited by knm, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Lucar

Lucar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    Wrong, IOSU is coming for 5.5.1 for Wii U mode, and the vWii is hackable on every Wii U system version, you just need a exploutable Wii game.

As for dumping, Gamecube games get spit out no matter what, as far as I know. With the IOSU for 5.5.1 and below, maybe it'll be possible. We'll have to see.

josh87402 likes this.
  8. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Why would you ever want to rip a gcn game from a disc.

There are a number of websites which freely allow you to download complete working rips of all released gcn games.

Not worrying about the technical difficulties, just from a pure time/effort standpoint, there is zero reasons.

Unless you live in butt f**k nowhere with dial up internet. But that's more of a personal problem.

Last edited by laudern, Jan 23, 2016
  9. Lucar

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    Because some people aren't into piracy or have Internet Usage Caps.

10. laudern

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Please differentiate the difference between ripping a copy of a gcn game that you own and downloading a rip of a copy of a game you own? Either way you have an illegal (depending on country of residence) copy of a game.

Limited download caps??? Gcn games are in the grand scheme of internet caps, pretty small. I don't see too many homebrew coders being concerned with the problems of people with poor internet when there are so many other options available.

Just buy a wii. Problem solved.

GunzOfNavarone and Subtle Demise like this.
  11. Lucar

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    In the US and Canada, it is legal to create a backup copy of a game that you own. Also, when you download a rip of the game, that rip doesn't fall under the license of the game, even if you own it. The licence you agree to when you buy a game is that you are allowed to do whatever you want with THAT SPECIFIC COPY of the game.

sindrik likes this.
  12. laudern

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Arrh Canadian. True. It is a good thing the OP lives in canada:blink:

EDIT

I have done some research and it appears your assumption is incorrect. Canada has recently updated their copyright laws and have brought them in line with America. If you are making a copy that bypasses a digital lock, it is illegal.

So yes, there is no greater need to be ripping gcn games, than there is to be ripping SNES games.

Last edited by laudern, Jan 23, 2016
  13. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    For U.S. and Canada, they both have laws that allow the backup of media as long as no form of digital locks need to be broken to do so
    This means that using homebrew to rip games on Wii counts as illegal, however ripping discs with rawdump is not as all it does is dump the disc via certain commands that very few drives can use. No modded firmware is required for this so no tampering is required to dump Wii and GC discs with rawdump.

14. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    You can hack 5.5.1 fine on vWii, and there is a userland browser exploit on 5.5.1.

15. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    That's really interesting, do you have a source for this? Also wouldn't any form of encryption be considered a "digital lock"?

16. Osirus

Osirus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    In the US the DMCA criminalizes any circumvention of copy-protection or DRM, I don't know what the Canadian equivalent is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

17. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    What if it's an unreleased prototype?

18. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Backups, Nintendon't compatibility, Dolphin.

19. laudern

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    ??? If it is unreleased how are you going to be ripping it from a retail gcn disc? Please re-read the thread.

Yep I completely agree. Still does not necessitate ripping a physical disc.

20. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    i guess the idea would have been handy back when Devolution r200 was a big deal