Can a phone record direct sound?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Langin, May 20, 2013.

1. Langin
    OP

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
  2. Plainscript

Plainscript GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    Netherlands
    Well..

Same principle to me? Just hook up the S3-out to a computer using mic-in on your PC and you're good to go?

3. Langin
    OP

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Woops I might have been a bit vague, I want to record the sound from my 3DS on my S3. I mean while recording videos on my S3, I can have direct sound with it!

4. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    If the S3's usb port it an On The Go type, you may be able to plug a USB soundcard in (I think Android supports these now?)

If the S3 supports headsets via the audo jack then you could theoretically get a splitter cable and plug the 3DS Stereo OUT to the S3 Mic IN but you'd only get Mono and it would be pretty shitty quality.

5. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    I doubt a splitter cable to separate/direct the mic feature of headset exists... he'd most likely have to splice one himself, and much like you said, it would be low-mono quality, and most likely static due to the cord-butchering.

And the S3 does support OTG cables, so you can plug in a USB sound card with a mic/audio-in port, however you would need the appropriate app thats compatible with such a feature, and its likely you'd need the assistance of a USB hub with an alternate power source, either by battery , USB, or AC. As I recall, most harddrives that are powered by USB don't work on most phones/tablets with an OTG cable due to a lack of power those mini-USB ports put out. Most Android devices are built to take in 5 volts, 1 amp(s) through their mini-usb-b ports, but they don't put out that much when in reverse.

6. OneUp

OneUp GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States
    I got one of these to try recording sound from a sound board: http://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-IP-IRIG-PLG-IN-AmpliTube-iRig/dp/B003T1WCBW

It works ok, but android phones have some hardware sound processing that makes it not so great. (Automatic volume control, low cut filter)

You could get this along with a male TS 1/4" to male TS 1/8" cable or TS 1/4" to female TS 1/8" adapter to record sound from the 3DS.

The nice thing about this kind of adapter is your phone will automatically switch to getting audio from it.

I should note that I first tried a cheaper version of this adapter and the phone end of the plug did not connect properly and thus did not work at all. You could splice one together if you wanted to, but you'd have to make sure all the pins went to the right wires.

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm a little bit confused by the question. The S3 has full recording capabilities - just get a recording app. S3 also has support for headsets plugged into the headphone jack (I use the one for my iPhone 5, although the volume buttons won't work with android).
    IIRC, by using a compatible headset, it will override the speakers and mic on the handset itself and use the ones from the headset for all apps.

As far as I can think, the USB port isn't necessary if you've got a standard headset (like the earplugs that came with the S3, with an in-line mic).
    EDIT: Didn't notice the thread was nearly a month old.