Can a 9.2 firmware backup image be flashed without a hardmod ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by escherbach, Jan 11, 2016.

1. escherbach
    OP

escherbach GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Probably a dumb question, but with all the recent progress on >9.2 firmware downgrading I just wondered if it was possible to reflash an earlier 9.2 image backup I made on an old 3ds xl currently on 10.3 via any software hacks. Or do I still need to solder and use raspberry pi flasher or similar?

2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    You can downgrade to 9.2 and restore the nand backup with gateway

Tony_93, escherbach and LameNobody like this.
  3. escherbach
    OP

Dec 26, 2013
    That's not a bad solution, my thinking is that a reflash of an original 9.2 backup from your own device is a safer solution than doing a "generic" downgrade using the recently discovered methods. (So even though I can downgrade to 9.2 using the recently announced hacks, I would still like to reflash the original, authentic, backup 9.2 image I made last year)

So I have a step with the slightly not safe downgrade method and then use the gateway menu to reflash the 100% stable 9.2 backup image.

Unfortunately I don't have a gateway, lol, but I could borrow one off a couple of people. Hmm, thanks for the idea anyway, I hadn't thought of that.

4. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    RXtools can back up nand i think

escherbach likes this.
  5. escherbach
    OP

Dec 26, 2013
    Even if not, I just realised that once back at generic 9.2, I can run the nand flash without a physical gateway card.

So the current 10.3 downgrade hack seems to make the hardmod reflash method redundant I think?

6. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    yah , you only need to go to the gateway menu either from the .3DSX or from the browser.