Hardware Buying a ps3

damessh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ps2 finally kicked the bucket, so I find myself in the market for a ps3. However, as I now live in China, keeping the machine un-modded and able to play online no longer has any value. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the modding of ps3s or the capabilities of modded machines. Having previously attempted to shop for a ps2 compatible ps3 a year ago, the specs and make of ps3 are baffling to me. To that end, I am hoping it would be possible to get some assistance in making some kind of purchasing assistance.

I am looking to get a ps3 purely to play games, no need for blu-ray, internet mods, etc. Only games, but always would love to be able to play ps1 and ps2 games, if that is even possible. Is there an ideal Cecha,b,c,e... or model number of ps3 that works best for modifying? Just need to know if I should ideally be looking for a fat or slim, or special Cechx model.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The super slim model should do you well it's a bit louder but runs fine, if you're into modding xkeys will soon be ready for super slims this will let you run ps1/2/3 games off of external hdds - you'd be looking around $400 if you wanna go the mod route, not sure what sort of exploites their going to have in the future.

damessh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so best bet is to just get a super slim and mod it up to play ps games of any era? Does the firmware of out of the box super slims require a downgrade for modding?

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Slims CAN NOT BE MODDED!!!
the xkey, may allow it to run bluray games and possibly homebrew(a real stretch) but that is yet to be released and is still not known by the public to be fully working.

Your best bet is either get a fat or slim, if you want to play ps2 games i suggest getting a fat since it is more compatible with games.
Also fats will be guarenteed to be downgradable since they were all released pre-3.55. only thing is backwards compatible fats have nand within them a will be harder to downgrade(its possible though) but soldering will be required.

If you go the slim route, it will be easier to downgrade because you can attach the downgrader without needing to solder but you will not be guarantee that the slim you buy is pre-3.55 and the compatibility with ps2 games is limited.

ALSO, make sure you get the correct fat ps3 if you choose that route because later fats were made with nors not nands like earlier models. that is because they took out the backwards compatibility. meaning they run ps2 games like slims do, so get an early fat model if ps2 games are important.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, so best bet is to just get a super slim and mod it up to play ps games of any era? Does the firmware of out of the box super slims require a downgrade for modding?

If you are gonna go for modding. You best bet right now i say is to get one that is already modded.

Every PS3 out there can play PS1 just fine so that is in the box.
For PS2 games, its a hit and miss right now for slim models so i say the cheaper way is to work with what is working and maybe buy a PS2 down the road for the titles you can't live without (If there is any).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?