Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys!

Like the title said, i am searching the best of bullethell:evil:-Games for all platformes! (Ds/3ds/ps3/ps4/xbox360/pc/psvita/psp)

I would really be happy if there are many replys:D

Cheers!:grog:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At the 360 was the home of shmups last go around, even and especially Japanese ones which is shocking considering how poorly it sold in Japan, I covered a fair bit of it in http://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-and-360-exclusives-a-discussion.360416/ . In some ways it might even be better than the PC from around the same time.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-game-of-the-week-74.336294/ covers a fair few of the DS ones out there.

For the GBA I will also suggest a pieces of homebrew http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/homebrew/download-vulkanon-v2-1-f1316.html and http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/homebrew/download-bulletgba-5-0-f1317.html

Bullet hell is not really my thing in shmups and given the choice I will skew towards European Amiga style stuff, more apidya than 1942 so I am not prepared to offer many suggestions as anybody that knows enough to call it bullet hell often has ideas about what they want in games. Definitely look into the 360 though as it is probably the best way for anything modern, you will want either a Japanese 360 or a 360 with something in the JTAG/RGH family of hacks (basically not a DVD mod) so you have region free if you head down that path though as many were region locked to Japan only. Oh if you want 1942 then it is probably only behind pong, breakout and tetris in the amount of homebrew versions that get made for systems.

I am not sure what goes for the PSP though, that is a rather troubling oversight for me.

Also as it is little remembered nowadays my favourite megadrive one
Super Air Wolf/Crossfire

You might also like
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitHead1000
He has been going through some of the PCE/TG16 shmups library lately, if you are not the kind of person I described above that will tell me they need one hit horizontal, no vertical... and just like them because they were what happened back when (your profile says you are younger but that means nothing if you still like the games) then he will probably steer you towards some good stuff.

Anyway I am waffling and several paragraphs after I said I am not about bullet hell when it comes to shmups so I will leave it there.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Touhou and Deathsmiles are the only you need.
Samidare is good too with the shield mechanic.

Oohh and there is also Strike Witches Hakugin no Tsubasa for PSP and X360.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Radirgy (Dreamcast, Gamecube as Radirgy Generic and Playstation 2 as Radirgy Precious. also came out on Wii in a compilation with other milestone shmups) and Radirgy Noa (Wii and X360).
I love the soundtrack.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,
Reactions: Arubaro

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The soundtrack really sounds amazing ^~^! Thank ya for ur nice advice mii @Sakitoshi !

I ve already Deathsmiles!

Is the radirgy a disc game ? Or a xboxlive which only is downloadable?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got three candidates on three different platforms:

Jamestown is a straightforward bullethell shooter with a weird theme (despite the futuristic alien-ish machines, the game claims it's medieval times in Spain or something). Has lots of different difficulty settings, but the later levels only unlock if you survive a harder level. And that's somewhat unfair. Then again, the levels are very beautiful and worth replaying over and over again (which is a good thing, as I suspect it doesn't have that many).

Ikaruga is a classic. I've played it on gamecube, though it's on other platforms as well. The twist is that bullets come at you in black or white, but only one kind can straight-up kill you. So it's not only dodging a gazillion bullets but also switch from black to white or vice versa on perfect timing.

Sin & punishment, wii. The narrative is wonky or even downright retarded weeabo crap, but the gameplay is mindblowingly awesome, and arguably the best game on nunchuk+wiimote.

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: not on a tablet anymore

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Is the radirgy a disc game ? Or a xboxlive which only is downloadable?
The first game on DC, PS2 and GC is obviously on disc but Japan only, the Wii version came out on NA along with Karous and Chaos Field on the Ultimate Shooting Collection.
The secuel, Radirgy Noa, it's a disc game too, both Wii and Xbox 360 versions are Japan only, it's subbed Massive on Xbox 360.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is the best shooter I've ever played, and probably best game for me in 2015-2016.
Not so much a bullet hell game as a side-scrolling shooter, but it can get pretty hellish sometimes.

Me playing it, this boss at the end is aptly called Savage Ruler:

A runner-up would be Gradius V for me.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A pretty old one but a good one: Raptor: call of the shadows. Though I've gotta admit I sort of cheated (level 5 or 6 in the first area gives you an expensive weapon very early in the level. Get to there, grab it, abort the mission, restart...do this about 20 times, then sell all the collected instances of the weapon and get the most powerful weapon to powerhouse your way through the rest of the game).

Also probably a bit dated: parodius. I especially liked that this one - like the name suggests - didn't took itself seriously. While the combination of a hard shooter and a cutesy-looking one was very weird, I have fond memories of playing it. :)

In the more traditional sidescrooler shooter-genre, I want to give a shout out to 'enemy mind'. It trows far less bullets as you than the average shooter (let alone traditional bullethell shooters), but the main mechanic is very interesting. You're basically an entity that can - and must - capture enemy ships by hitting them with a sort of beam (so you basically have two attacks: your standard fire of the ship you currently posses and that beam to capture another ship).

EDIT: I'll list two more entries, though they're more roguelike twin-stick shooters.

Nuclear throne: pixel-art style game with lots of guns and some upgrades every so level.

Enter the gungeon: haven't played this myself, but looks very similar (it's Zelda with guns, guns and more guns).

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A few other suggestions:

-Sine mora: it's in my library from a bundle I once got, but haven't gotten around to it. Looks interesting, though
-symphony: I admit I quickly got bored of it, but worth mentioning: a randomly generated bullethell shooter based on your music collection.

And since it can be more than traditional bullethell shooters:
-superhot. I certainly wouldn't rate it as such (though haven't played it), but I guess it makes sense. The idea is that it's a turn-based FPS where time only moves when you do. I guess this is countered by many more guns being fired directly at you.
-outland: this one is only PARTIALLY a bullethell, but it's certainly interesting. It's mostly a platformer-brawler in the metroidvania style. However, the main meat of the game is surviving (or navigating through) whole heaps of 2-colored energy bolts being thrown at you (it uses Ikaruga's bullet style).
-super time force ultra: another one on my "to do" list. A platformer shooter that apparently has a twist on dying/respawning. Has lots of bullets in it
-(the pretty much obligatory) metal slug. You should already know this one. ;)

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank ya soo much @Taleweaver the suggestions are really great ! :)

Metalslug oh yesss i know this one and it is a real arcade game i would say, ok it is really old though :D

I will post some shooters too when i found one i ll let you all know ! :)

See ya soon

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh, by the way: if you've got the chance (or the illegal means), try out sunset riders. It's a platformer shoot'em up. The original arcade version is pretty unfair with their relatively easy first level and then cranking up the difficulty, but on infinite continues it's still great. :)

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touhou and Deathsmiles are the only you need.
Samidare is good too with the shield mechanic.

Oohh and there is also Strike Witches Hakugin no Tsubasa for PSP and X360.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Radirgy (Dreamcast, Gamecube as Radirgy Generic and Playstation 2 as Radirgy Precious. also came out on Wii in a compilation with other milestone shmups) and Radirgy Noa (Wii and X360).
I love the soundtrack.

Touhou and deathsmiles are love they are life

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.