Building my first desktop!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Boogieboo6, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Boogieboo6
    OP

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Hello everybody! I've decided to upgrade from my laptop into a desktop. To put things in perspective, I'm 16, haven't had a job yet, but save money really well. Currently, I have about $200. I know that's not going to get me anything, but that's what I currently have. I figured with Christmas coming up soon, I could ask for some pieces and gather a bit more money and eventually build my own computer. I have no idea how much I'm looking to spend, so I'll save up my money for whatever the best build for me is. I don't emulate very many things. If I do emulation, it's usually just for Resident Evil 2 and SSBM on Dolphin. I'd like to be able to play new released games and not have to replace it for a very long time. Side question, do you have to replace the entire desktop eventually? Or do you just switch parts over time? Thanks to everybody for all of their help. If any more information is required, I'd be happy to give it.

2. Red9419

Red9419 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2014
    Well if your looking into upgrading every so often, then I would recommend getting a good motherboard so you won't need to swap that out in the future (trust me I just made mine and already want to swap it). you won't need to replace desktops because you an always get new GPUs or CPUs.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I suggest buying everything together instead of buying parts that you have no way to test if they work or not.

RaMon90 likes this.
  4. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Some new released games requires good pc. If you want to buy some pieces from the internet now and the rest later, you never know wether its gonna work or not. My opinion is the same like the guy above said.

So with this said, I think for a decent pc 700$ is the best with a rx 480 or 1060 6gb build if you can. There are many different pc builds cheaper but you cant play some games at max settings.

P.s be careful with the power supply unit, you need a good brand. Example evga, seasonic or others and not cheaper. Search on google for tutorials or suggestions for build.

Last edited by RaMon90, Nov 27, 2016
  5. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Buy a used mid range pc. It will allow you to play emulators and mid age games. Something you can run fall out 3. Then you can add more ram after and can get experience to when you have money to buy a better pc.