Building a Pc, need advice.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Fear Zoa, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Fear Zoa
    OP

Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    I finally got the money to build a pc and came up with this.

BUT... then I remembered that the 1155 socket is on its way out (I think) so I decided to change the motherboard and cpu to be more up to date and came up with...

So my questions are, am I better off using the old socket 1155 build or the new 1150 build. And also does this build look good in general, any suggestions?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The PSU is overkill (anything over 600W is for a single GPU system), for the Graphics consider a 770 instead, and you're missing an aftermarket CPU cooler and storage (HDD/SSD). I assume you already have a monitor/keyboard/Windows.

But before that, what do you need the PC for? From your choice, it looks like gaming, but how much of a gamer are you? And your budget? Needs and budget are everything.

There is minimal improvement between Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Next to no performance boost, more restrictive overclocking, and desktop CPUs still aren't energy efficient (heat). On the other hand, the chipset supports more USB3/SATA III ports and a couple other new technologies that currently have 0 impact on the market. There is also the fact that 1155 is a dead-end socket, but I don't see anybody hurrying to abandon it yet.

Also, if you get Haswell, get 2400Mhz RAM. There's only a $20ish price difference, but gets a 7-15% boost in gaming and multitasking performance. Not much of a boost, but not much price increase.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Is there any reason for you to use Maximus motherboard? They are very expensive compared to comparable competing motherboard. Unless you are buying it for the look there are cheaper alternative.

4. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    I wanted to be a bit futureproof with the psu could I still do that with a 600w psu? Also I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, storage and windows.
    As for the CPU cooler I was thinking of getting this when It comes out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103189

I plan on using it for a bit of everything, but mostly gaming, and I plan on doing a lot of gaming. Also the budget is in the $1000 range (i'm flexible) also I allready own the case so it doesn't count towards the $1000

Oddly enough due to Microcenter undercutting everyone on processors the Haswell is pretty much the same price as the Ivy Bridge so I'm leaning towards the Haswell in case those things (USB3/SATA3) start to become more common and impactful.

So something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231621

5. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    I really wanted a ROG motherboard (its actually pretty cheap for a ROG motherboard too)
    Also I'm a bit of a asus fanboy.

6. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Oh okay then.

CPU cooler wise, just know that it is for looks. Performance wise I doubt it can beat cheaper Noctua UH14S.

PSU wise listen to Originality. There is no need to futureproof your PSU that much. I'm using 3770K + HD7870 + Capstone 450 W and it only draws 260 W at stress.

7. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    So should I go for the 500w range or the 600w range?

8. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Will you be doing SLI or CF down the road? Or will you move up to LGA2011 down the road?

In any case, 600 W should be the max you are looking at.

9. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    I'm stuck trying to decide between Gskill trident X ram and Gskill sniper RAM
    Both are 2400 to take advantage of Haswell and the Mobo I just can't really decide between the two. I think the trident X is faster but is it worth the money over the snipers (which are on sale now by the way)

10. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Trident has tighter timing, but the performance difference is negligible. Go with Sniper.

11. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
  12. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
  13. Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    With an unlocked processor, you really should invest in an aftermarket cooler. It will allow for way more overclocking. A liquid cooler if you've got the money. If not, any heatpipe-based air cooler will still perform better than stock.

PityOnU likes this.
  14. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    Oh trust me I plan on it, this is more of a continuous build as I get my paychecks over the next few weeks so an aftermarket cooler isn't my highest priority at the moment but I will definitely get one especially since as you said it is an unlocked processor and I am paying a bit extra for that.

15. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Keep in mind with Ivy and Haswell, you really have to delid it if you want any decent overclocking out of it (with Haswell being the worst overclocker). Deliding the CPU means voiding 3 year warranty offered by Intel.

16. Fear Zoa
    OP

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    I'll keep that in mind, but I'll see where it gets me normally and go from there. I'm fine with voiding warranties though.

17. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    This has got to be the only reason they put those damn things on at all.

Thanatos Telos likes this.