Building a desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Devin, May 30, 2014.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I just recently got my College grant and since my College tuition/fees are covered the money is pretty much there. So I've decided that I should probably get a new computer. To give some perspective I'm currently using the following laptop. (Except I've bumped the RAM up to 8GBs.) Link to current laptop specs. My only issue with it is that it tends to overheat (If I don't have it on the cooler mat.) and that it uses Intel HD Graphics so I can't run many games.

I was thinking about building a PC but my only issues are that I tend to use my laptop in my bed most of the time, I'll need it to bring to College with me, and I don't have a monitor/desk for a PC. So I'm really leaning towards a laptop and I was hoping some of you guys had suggestions on a decent gaming laptop for $500 or less. I can reuse some aspects of the laptop I'm currently using if need be. (Like the 2x 4GB RAM sticks, 640GB HDD, etc.) I don't plan on running Crysis 3 at 60 FPS on high. I typically just play Garry's Mod, Counter Strike: Global Offensive and so on. I can possible go a little over $500.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  3. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Thanks Tom. I've decided that I can't really get a good gaming laptop that is a larger improvement over my current one without pay $700+. So I've decided to go the building a PC route. I asked a friend of mine for suggestions on what to put into it and this is what we've got so far.

PC Part List

The only part I really picked out was the casing. Pretty cheap and looks nice. I'd use the 500W power supply included with it however I've read that it's loud, gets really hot, and the cooling fans for it melt. So I went with my friends suggestion of a EVGA 500W power supply. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

4. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    yeah get a Different case and you dont need the CPU cooler because your amd cpu should come with one. I would also get 2 x 4GB chips of ram instead of just one and put all that extra money to a better GPU.

or something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m96CD3

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Since you didn't include a HDD in your build, are you going to use an existing one?

6. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States

Sign up for a Newegg preferred account. and pay over time. But go all out. You can pay w/e you want but if you purchase the entire thing at once you will likely have no payments or interest for like 6-12 months. I wouldn't do that and I would pay as you can. I wouldn't think you wouldn't get another grant next semester so you can keep paying for as long as you want. Check it out IF YOU DARE.

7. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    Not so, my old lenovo i got brand new had several missing screws and completely broke 9 months after i bought it.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I have a Lenovo, still working just fine, sounds like you had the luck of the draw, but don't blame it on Lenovo, these things do happen. Compaq, Gateway and Dell however, should be avoided at all costs, their attribution high failure rate is justified.

9. nukeboy95

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    Also toshiba.

the_randomizer likes this.
  10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Originality likes this.
  11. nukeboy95

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
  12. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    My L505D is still running fine since 2009

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Remember that the companies don't make laptops, they assemble them from basic parts.
    Also, this is now off topic since the OP is building a desktop.

14. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA