Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My days with this outdated computer (AMD Athlon 64 1.8GHz, GeForce 6600GT, and a 115GB hard drive) are almost up, but from the ashes a phoenix (a somewhat cheap phoenix, that is) is born. I've been given a budget of 700 dollars (this entire build is $657.14). Oh, and I plan to use this computer for casual settings gaming on games such as TF2 and L4D (no AA, around 1680 x 1050 resolution on a 1920 x 1080p monitor) and watching high definition anime and movies.

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129042

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128357

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139005

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116072

GPU: PNY GeForce 9600GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133239

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319

RAM: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211066

DVD Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827129023

Here's an image overview:
testbuildqi0.png

My decisions on the GPU and CPU are final; I think they accommodate each other without any bottle-necking, and they have good and consistent ratings on newegg. I also plan to get a G11 keyboard, and I plan to use Windows XP Home 32-bit (because I still have that disk) so I can save up for an official Windows 7 release.

So, I just thought I'd ask if this build would be OK, and that I won't have any problems (hardware-wise) with it. Oh, and I think I should mention this is my first build, but I'll have my friends and brother help me if needed. And please note I'm trying to use up as little money as I can, so I'm not sure if there is a need for more RAM and such. I'll buy more if I really do need it, however I would like to avoid spending money on useless things.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You really want a PSU+Case combo. And 500w is plenty for that setup from any good manufacturer.

Antec and Nexus make good combos.

Also, just shell over for a Kingston or Corsair instead of A-Data - where A-Data isn't bottom of the heap their reliability tends to be a bit off still. It's not much more.

EDIT: Also, the memory's plenty for Windows XP Home 32bit and barely enough for Windows 7.

EDIT2: Also, a MicroATX mobo in an ATX case? That's a headache if I ever saw one. Go with a full-sized.

EDIT3: Compare 640gb and 500gb hard drive prices, at least here there's a crazy price jump between 'em due to tech change.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taza said:
You really want a PSU+Case combo. And 500w is plenty for that setup from any good manufacturer.

Antec and Nexus make good combos.

Also, just shell over for a Kingston or Corsair instead of A-Data - where A-Data isn't bottom of the heap their reliability tends to be a bit off still. It's not much more.

EDIT: Also, the memory's plenty for Windows XP Home 32bit and barely enough for Windows 7.

EDIT2: Also, a MicroATX mobo in an ATX case? That's a headache if I ever saw one. Go with a full-sized.

EDIT3: Compare 640gb and 500gb hard drive prices, at least here there's a crazy price jump between 'em due to tech change.
Alright, I'll get Kingston RAM instead, and I'll upgrade it when Windows 7 comes.
Do you mean a full size case? Or are you talking about the motherboard? If it's the motherboard, can I fit a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P in the same case?

QUOTE(Joe88 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:10 PM) 650w for that build is a bit much, you can get by fine with 450w

also a 4830 is $8 cheaper, its pretty much neck and neck with a 9800GT and comes with rainbow six vagas 2 for free
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127394
OK, so I'll get a 500w power supply to be safe and I'll swap out my graphics card for a MSI 4830.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've tweaked my build and this is my final product.
testbuildupdate.jpg

Again, any bits of advice are welcome.

alltooamorous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not saying the Antec 300 isn't good, I'd recommend this case+PSU combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156098

Nice prices for a case+PSU combo. Would work with your build. I've built 3 budget systems using this case and I have to say, it's one of the easiest cases I've worked with. It provides decent airflow and sufficient space for what you need.

Yes, the other Gigabyte board will fit in the Antec 300, but I'd say that board is overkill for what you are building, unless you plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Lol, you posted a minute before me =P
Don't you want a DVD burner with SATA instead of IDE?

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be honest, I don't know which motherboard I should get, as the UD3P was a recommendation from a friend of mine. (He spent around $1400 on his computer with this motherboard and a 4870 and Q6600) so I'm not sure as to which one I should get. My budget can afford the changes though (around $680 at my last post)

I'll grab that case+psu combo there, should save me a bunch.

And I forgot about the DVD drive. I'll find one later.

MSPAINTING AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
TestBuild3.jpg

alltooamorous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit puzzled right now. Your build (as of the most recent screenie) does not add up to anywhere near $680. Are you leaving something out?

By the look of your other parts, I'd definitely buy your first motherboard choice, as it is less than half of the P45 and will be sufficient.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Well, that's with shipping and handling and tax included as the final price, you know. And I updated my build, but I'll post it again under this spoiler.
TestBuild3.jpg

I decided I would keep the P45, for future upgrading.

Shipping: 43.41
Tax: 44.23

There's your culprit.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unless you are not gonna get a second gfx card down the road (would require a PSU upgrade anyway)
then get the UD3R

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
you should always buy a decent psu and not some generic piece of shit
a cheap psu may seem a bargain but when (not if) it goes tits up you will regret it
i always use antec trupower psu's
they guarantee that any electrical surge will not pass the psu so even in the event your psu goes bang the rest of your pc will still be fine

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Really, really, really don't go with an ATI card.

You said your choice of CPU and GPU is final - and frankly, they were fine in the original post.

The memory you picked is fine, the one playallday did isn't. (Dual channel mode, you only get 50% of the speed with playallday's option)

ATI cards + MSI == double nightmare. The openGL crashes, the cheaping out on essential components... (ATI cards have notable driver problems, MSI graphics cards have rickety, noisy and downright bad parts. Personal experience on both.)

General way to good computers here: First ignore War, playallday and Joe88. Place extra weight on my and FAST's opinions, because we actually have professional experience. It might sound arrogant but in the long run there's three kinds of people here - those who know, those who don't and those who are irritatingly loud and clueless. I don't know who else is a professional or ex-professional - though I wouldn't be surprised if garf is. alltooamorous also sounds competent.

Also, I suggest separating the G11 from the main order. Less hassle that way. And I'd go with an Asus P5Q, but that's personal preference - the Gigabytes aren't that horrible either.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Taza said:
The memory you picked is fine, the one playallday did isn't. (Dual channel mode, you only get 50% of the speed with playallday's option)
Well, he only has so many RAM slots. Getting 1GB x 2 isn't such a good idea. He'll be stuck with 2GB and it won't be able to upgrade unless he says bye-bye to his old RAM.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
djgarf said:
a cheap psu may seem a bargain but when (not if) it goes tits up you will regret it
they guarantee that any electrical surge will not pass the psu so even in the event your psu goes bang the rest of your pc will still be fine
Agreed. I went cheapie on my first PSU. Died 2 months later. Got a nice antec, and its been going good for a year and a half.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
djgarf said:

Seriously never cheap out on a PSU, it really is a false economy.

As for an MSI or ATI card, to be honest I wouldnt go with either, I got to agree with what Taza said. Apart from what he said about ignoring all the rest of the people here, that was pretty arrogant. Next time phrase your (admittedly good) advice better.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad a lot of people are giving me advice, but it seems like Taza had the most experience, so I think I will drop the ATI card. However, I'm considering getting a 9800 GT, but I'm worried about bottle-necking, so I'm not sure if I should get it or not.

As of right now, I'm still caught in a decision between which GPU I should get, but I've also decided to get a case with a separate PSU by Thermaltake (some reviews on my previous case did not say good things about the PSU) and I'm still going to get that Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319 ) when it restocks.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taza said:
Really, really, really don't go with an ATI card.

You said your choice of CPU and GPU is final - and frankly, they were fine in the original post.

ATI cards + MSI == double nightmare. The openGL crashes, the cheaping out on essential components... (ATI cards have notable driver problems, MSI graphics cards have rickety, noisy and downright bad parts. Personal experience on both.)

Agreed Taza

I have had the same probs with MSI and ATI it kept on messing up my cousin's PC, he had a 4830 for a week, it was a nightmare and i replaced it with an 8800 GT, much much better. Plus stick with the 9600GT, it is a good GFX card, and i know this since my brother has 2 of them running in SLi on a 680i, however one 9600 GT can do the job well. I mean this is just my experience with PC hardware, not my opinion, i would also definitely spend a bit more money on the RAM, i guess its worth the extra bit to have 4 GB. Yet again its your choice and your money.

Also get a proper PSU, not just one that comes with the case, anything from Antec is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/