Broken USB card reader or microsd?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Darkseeker109, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Darkseeker109
    OP

Darkseeker109 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2010
    New Zealand
    So my R4I-SDHC 3ds arrived today I bought it bundled with a 4gb Kingston sdhc microsd card. It came already in the card reader ready to go so I went to plug it in and windows detected it. As I was copying the firmware files to microsd card this is where the troubles began. I was watching the data transfer graphics that windows 8 has and I could see that the transfer speed was dropping eventually it just stopped transferring and the bar kept loading but no progress. I went to check my computer and the bar that shows how much storage is on the micro sd had gone. Now. I cant decide which is to blame here. Is it a bad card reader or dead micro sd? Windows detects the card for a while and I can make folders and text files on it but it just doesnt like me copying files to it. Ive ordered another card reader which will get here on Monday so ill be able to test then. but if it does it with a new card reader is it safe to say that I was unfortunate and got a dead micro sd on arrival? or perhaps even a fake one? ive tried in 2 other computers and it does the same thing with the card reader it came with. Also now it sometimes takes a while for windows to even pick it up. It keeps asking me to format the micro sd when I put it in constantly it almost never gets picked up by windows normally now.

2. Rezatron

Rezatron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2012
    Canada
    The microSD USB readers that come with most flash cards are low quality. From my experience and what you described microSD cards rarely fail but those cheap readers do all the time.

3. Darkseeker109
    OP

Darkseeker109 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2010
    New Zealand
    New card reader arrived this morning and its working perfectly now so thread can be closed :)