Broken DS Touch Screen?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lakaiskateboarding, May 5, 2010.

May 5, 2010
  1. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Oke, I bought two broken original DSes. I fixed one, but the touch screen doesn´t work. When I looked at it, I saw some kind of film was on top of it, which was getting loose. As it seems, it holds some of the connections of the touch screen.

My question is: if that small film is off, does the touch screen still work? Because I am not sure about this and I don´t want to buy a new touch screen if it isn´t broken. The connector is still fine, so that can´t be the problem.

Here is an image to make clear what I am talking about:
    [​IMG]

2. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    I don't think it can work, you could try but if you touch it I don't think it will register.

3. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

I have already tried if it works and it doesn´t. I was wondering if it is because the film is off, because nothing else seems broken.

4. giratina16

United Kingdom
    Well the film is to detect the difference in electrical currents, so when something touches it the currents change which is what makes the screen touch sensitive.

5. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

And it is true the film is really really thin? Almost like a screen protector? And when the film is off, there is still a thicker part of the touch screen module.

6. giratina16

United Kingdom
    The layers are film, adhesive, glass, adhesive. I think that's it, I can't remember.

7. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

Oke, that´s clear. In that case it is definitely broken. I´ll be ordering a new one then. Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

I already was planning to get new ones, because they were so scratched up on both.

Edit:The film went off, because when lifting out the bottom screen it stayed attached to the adhesive in the DS casing.

8. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I should try to buy a new touchscreen from shoptemp the only cost 2,96euro, so its a price to try it!

9. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

It´s not a DS Lite.

10. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Dude, the thin layer is called a digitizer. It's the bit of the touchscreen which sends off the data to the DS when you tap it. The good news is that it's dirt cheap (and easy as all hell) to replace.
    The even better news is that the digitizer is actually what gets scratched, so replacing it will fix up your scratched-up problems.

You can find one for the phat DS on DealExtreme HERE for $2.59 (with free but slow-ass shipping).

11. martine4161

Newcomer martine4161 Newbie

United States
    If you connect all the thing manually then I might have some doubt that you have some thing loose and your device. One possibility is also that your touch screen is really not working then how you can use them. Actually you have to check all the possibilities for the screen and then you can create some output.

12. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

Yeah, I already knew about DealExtreme. I was just wondering if the thin layer had any function, because I didn´t want to risk waiting for DX´s slow shipping without being able to fix the problem with it.

13. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ... yeah, it does. Read my post again. The 'thin layer' is actually the digitizer, and is what sends the user's taps to the DS. It's actually what makes the touchscreen a touchscreen.

14. lakaiskateboarding
    OP

Ok, new touchscreens have been ordered. I will post again as soon as they arrive to tell if it fixed the problem (I am pretty sure it does now). [​IMG]