Hacking Broken DS Fat...

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, uhm. Last week i've picked a DS Fat for 30€ up, and the problem was that it was UGLY (!) painted and had a broken hinge, but besides that it worked flawlessy.

Whatever, because the shell annoyed me horribly, I've just changed it with one i got from DX. But since the DS is in its new shell it won't turn on anymore.
Sometimes the red Power-LED was flashing up, (just like the upper screen) and you heard, everytime it was flashing, a terrible cracking sound from the speakers.
But now you'll just see the green LED flashing up, and the DS turns off.

I've checked the ribbon cables (I think, more than 50 times.) and tried to put the DS back into its old shell. But it still wasn't working so I measured the Fuses and found out, that both of em were blown. After finding that out, I've desoldered the two fuses and bridged the points with solder.
But it just won't turn on, the green LED is flashing up and the DS Shut down, just like before
frown.gif

Besides all those problems, it charges my battery fine. Also tried to turn the DS on with the power cable plugged in. Still no other result than before.

So... anyone here knows how to handle with it? I've been playing with the thought to buy another broken DS (broken screens or something liek that) but that would blow my budget for the next few months... so it would be nice if someone have some ideas to might get it working again...

Thanks in advance
~Dark

jordanlp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
genuisgeek said:
i think they should put more like personal features similar to what the PSP has such as movies, muisc type things this customization feature would be relly nice
nintendo also plan to use the DS in like museums, tourist type stuff due to its touch screen implementation (really nice)

I gots a ds phat but gonna get a black lite

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best way to fix it would to buy a nice shiny new DS Lite!
biggrin.gif

But seriously, maybe you should make sure that the replacement case isn't bridging any points? If you take it apart and try to turn it on without a case, does it turn on?

I'm thinking of getting into the whole "Buy a crap ds and make it awesome by putting a replacement case on it thing" but it seems a bit difficult.. and I'm broke for the time being anyway XD

Good luck!

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
jordanlp said:
genuisgeek said:
i think they should put more like personal features similar to what the PSP has such as movies, muisc type things this customization feature would be relly nice
nintendo also plan to use the DS in like museums, tourist type stuff due to its touch screen implementation (really nice)

I gots a ds phat but gonna get a black lite

Whut?

QUOTE(krazykirk @ May 17 2008, 09:10 AM)
The best way to fix it would to buy a nice shiny new DS Lite!
biggrin.gif

But seriously, maybe you should make sure that the replacement case isn't bridging any points? If you take it apart and try to turn it on without a case, does it turn on?

I'm thinking of getting into the whole "Buy a crap ds and make it awesome by putting a replacement case on it thing" but it seems a bit difficult.. and I'm broke for the time being anyway XD

Good luck!
So, uh, Thanks for your replay, I wanted to answer more quickly, but my pc restarted out of nothing and then I forgot it ._.

lets answer :q
- The case isn't really bridging anything. Firstly I thought, that a case made of plastic couldn't really bridge anything, but after a while I remembered that the DS has at least 1 or 2 metallic parts, so I've insulated 'em with tape. Still no other response from my DS as the turn on and immediately turn off thingsy =/
- But to be sure I has laid the electronic parts down on my coffeetable (?) and connected everything. As you could imagine, nothing new or exciting happened
frown.gif

But again, thanks for your reply
biggrin.gif

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Zankurou said:
Same thing happened with me. I just put on a new case on my DS Phat but it'll flicker on and go back off.
I can't tell if any fuses are blown though. How do you check?
Hum, bad thing, eh? ._.

You can measure the fuses with a multimeter. Theres one Option, that when it says 1 or something like that, while measuring, it should mean, that the fuse is blown. Any hex-digit-number like 0,566 means that the Fuse is still active.

And just btw: The blown fuse is most likely the F2-fuse. :3

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
krazykirk said:
I think you just need to use the 'continuity' setting to see if electric current can pass through the two points or not.

You can use the resistance setting. low resistance = fuse ok, open circuit = fuse blown.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
You haven't been specific on what happens when the DS turns on and then off.
Does the bottom screen flash? Does the top screen flash? Do they both flash? Does nothing happen except for a green LED?

The ribbon cable itself could be broken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-