Broadband speed!

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just come out of a lengthy discussion with my broadband provider (Tiscali to those of you in the UK)

Im on an 8 meg connection, getting only 5 which im fine with (distance from exchange thing). If i download something, sure enough, most of the time ill hit the speed i should be. But going from webpage to webpage is taking absolutely ages!

For example, i go to google, type gbatemp, click on the link for here. It will sit on connecting for maybe 10 seconds, then it will sloooowly load up the GBATEMP homepage. from clicking the google link to having a fully loaded front page is taking perhaps 30-40 seconds. I know i could wait that time, but how can I be downloading at full speed but have such shit web access from site to site? This is the same for near enough every single site i go to

My broadband provider is telling me its basically not there problem, but is it? I know its not my PC/ firewall etc. So what else can it be?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... GBAtemp itself is pretty damn slow. Also it depends a lot on your upload speed, so if you have torrents running or someone is playing a game, your performance will be hit.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It could also be the website you're visiting or something on your end. Sometimes I boot in safemode with networking enabled to make sure it's not any apps thats causing slowdowns.

Most likely it's the website's problem.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive just come out of a lengthy discussion with my broadband provider (Tiscali to those of you in the UK)Â

Im on an 8 meg connection, getting only 5 which im fine with (distance from exchange thing). If i download something, sure enough, most of the time ill hit the speed i should be. But going from webpage to webpage is taking absolutely ages!

For example, i go to google, type gbatemp, click on the link for here. It will sit on connecting for maybe 10 seconds, then it will sloooowly load up the GBATEMP homepage. from clicking the google link to having a fully loaded front page is taking perhaps 30-40 seconds. I know i could wait that time, but how can I be downloading at full speed but have such shit web access from site to site? This is the same for near enough every single site i go to

My broadband provider is telling me its basically not there problem, but is it? I know its not my PC/ firewall etc. So what else can it be?

I'll bet you any money your connection is only slow between 5pm and 11pm. Even though Tiscali advertise that they have no limits if you go over something like 10 or 20 gig then they cap your connection, which basically means that during peak hours you get less than dial-up speeds. The only way to get rid of the cap is to download less than a gig a month for 3 months, although the minute you go over that 10 or 20 gig again you get capped.

It's one of the reasons we changed from Tiscali to AOL.

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox, the hacker's webbrowser.
get fasterfox and adblock plus etc, mine loads in exactly 2.830s, shows a counter on bottom.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
im having the problem too, but SOMEONE is downloding on emule...
so ill just have to wait for their download to finish.
I download
Why you dont just close the link rigth before they are finished
nyanya.gif

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Actually if you wish to get GBAtemp to load really quickly turn the images off! I do that when I'm in a lot of forums (turn them on in a couple of posts like Hadrians release ones) because of the avatar/sigs (BTW guys they look awesome) usually take most of the loading time when you are on slower connections.

I do find the homepage does seem to load a bit slower than the forum pages, dunno why that is but I'm guessing it might be my PC and Javascript.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how...