Bricking.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Alex_4170, Jun 11, 2009.

Jun 11, 2009

Bricking. by Alex_4170 at 4:03 AM (1,137 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Alex_4170
    OP

Newcomer Alex_4170 Newbie

Australia
    Hey guys.

I've installed mah homebrew software and i was about too find some applications to run on it.

but i couldn't find anywhere in the guides what can brick your wii, i may run back up games(we have 2 wiis and sometimes we're fighting over SSB)

so i was wondering what can potentially brick a wii?

also im running 3.4 if that makes any difference.

2. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Uninstalling ios's, installing bad wads, unplugging during updates, ummm... That's all I can think of.

3. Gamemaster1379

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The three listed above and installing firmwares from other regions will definitely do it. Just get Bootmii installed as boot2 and Preloader. That'll protect you from any bricks.

4. Tux'

Canada
    Whennyou install preloader you MIGHT have to install it twice because it gives you half a semi brick, but that's normal, you just reinstall it. Also, search Ultimate System Menu 4.0 guide, upgrade to 4.0. Everyone is doing it XD Succumb to my peer pressureness [​IMG]

5. Alex_4170
    OP

Australia
    is there a list of bad wads out there? Or a list of things that can brick a wii?

im too afraid really to install anything in risk of bricking, it seems that the way to unbrick a wii is pretty difficult too.

6. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    just install bootmii as boot2 then run bootmii and create a nand backup this is basically a backup of your system then even if you delete your entire system menu you can restore it.

p.s it isnt hard to restore if a brick occurs then put the sd card with the backup nand on in your wii and start it up then choose to restore nand it will take about 10 mins and your restored hope this helped you [​IMG]

7. Alex_4170
    OP

Australia
    Thanks heaps, how can i create a nand back up?

do i simply download one off the net or do i create it another way?

8. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada

a nand backup is basically a backup of your entire wii. the system menu, channels, etc etc. bootmii will allow you to "dump" your system (Nand) onto an sd card, so if you do ever screw up your system, that backup file (Nand) will allow you to restore your wii to exactly the way it was when you did the backup.

9. vergilite

United Kingdom
    once you have installed bootmii (make sure its as a boot2 so if you brick your wii you can access it) then put your SD memory card into your wii start up your wii then go to the fourth option on the bootmii menu and choose the option that shows a arrow pointing away from a chip then bootmii will make a copy of your nand to your SD card it will take about 10 mins to finish just let it do its thing until it says it has finished then you can remove your SD and know your safe [​IMG]

10. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Try finding some on the internet.

11. vergilite

United Kingdom
    what are you joking PettingZoo find someone elses nand back up online [​IMG] what would be the point in that i mean you might be able to recover your wii but it wouldn't be your data, saves, or system JUST CREATE ONE iv done it twice once for my 3.2 and again for my 4.0 firmware ITS EASY [​IMG]

12. clswii

Newcomer clswii Newbie

United States
    When you guys say "bad wads," does this include wiiware wads or only homebrew wads?

13. Tux'

Canada
    Pretty much move to the menu right twice press reset or a press eject or start. It depends if you're using a gc controller.

14. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    mostly homebrew. wiiware wads if the install goes bad can brick your wii too, or if someone screwed around with the banner. Not very common, but it can happen.

Preloader is a good way to prevent banner/wad bricks.

15. Alex_4170
    OP

Australia
    Radd, i created a nand. So say my wii bricks, i could just insert my sd card and it will let me choose to restore nand and im good to do so?
    Is there a way to test the nand? I want to make sure that i have this option available

i'm a paranoid person [​IMG]

16. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    Bootmii verifies the nand when it makes it, unless you opted to skip the verification process.

My advice is backup your nand to your computer as well, just in case your sd card corrupts at some point.

17. clswii

Newcomer clswii Newbie

United States
    Awesome. Thanks for the super quick reply TroyTheZombie. You rock!

18. vergilite

United Kingdom
    yeah just wip out your SD wack it into your wii boot up and choose the option next to the one you used to backup the nand ( the arrow pointing towards the chip) and it will install the nand

WARNING: just remember to backup you most recent saves e.g you make a save on the 11th of june play a game for 4 days and then your wii bricks you can restore your wii YAY but you would loose that 4 days of saves

19. Alex_4170
    OP

Australia
    thanks for everything, im sure i can figure the rest out through trail and error.