Bricked Wii, Preloader won't start

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by G2K, May 10, 2009.

May 10, 2009

Bricked Wii, Preloader won't start by G2K at 8:40 PM (1,606 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. G2K
    OP

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I bricked my Wii by installing a custom channel I made using the Brawl opening.bnr as a base. All I did was replace the images witrh other images of the same size.

I am currently on 4.0U (On an NTSC console). Everything has always worked fine. I have Preloader installed and I have Starfall on my SD Card, possibly installed. Holding Reset while powering on doesn't do anything but take me to the Health Screen like normal, and pressing A here just doesn't load the System Menu. I'm 100% sure Preloader is installed because I've been into the Preloader menu before, and it always booted before the system menu did. I think I've set it to Autoboot System Menu.

I've tried putting Twilight Princess in the drive and connecting a GC Controller to player 1, then holding Y while powering on. This acts the same way as stated above. Where do I go from here?

2. G2K
    OP

Canada
    Okay, if no one has an answer, maybe it would be better to look at it from a different point of view?

What if I DIDN'T have Preloader installed and was in the same situation (Just the health warning showing up). THEN what would I do?

Or if anybody knowws HOW I could get preloader working again, considering it is installed, please say.

3. wiiNinja

Member wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Did you verify after you installed Preloader that it worked? A corrupt channel would not likely cause Preloader to stop working.

4. G2K
    OP

Canada
    Yep, it worked multiple times before it started to get anoying booting into that every time, so I set it to auto boot system menu.

EDIT: Wait, I just remebered something. A while after I had installed Preloader, I went back to 3.2 to see if I could fix something that was annoying me. Then I went back to 4.0. I guess when IOS60 was installed while upgrading again, Preloader was overwritten, wasn't it? Now what? I just found out about SaveMii and using a modded GameCube controller... would I be able to do anything with that?

5. G2K
    OP

Canada
    I keep double / triple posting here...

So to sum it up, I have a banner brick on 4.0. I do not have Preloader / Starfall installed. It seems like the only way to fix is to use SaveMii or SaveMiiFrii (Which works) to get into recovery mode IF I have a chip, then use a Ninty recovery disc, is this correct? Is there another way of fixing this, or will I just have to send it in?

If I send it in, since it's only a channel that needs to be removed, what are the chances of me getting the same Wii back? If I DO get the same Wii back, will I have to pay alot more, because I have custome channels installed?

6. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    i think if you send it back, they do fix it for you, but they remove all the homebrew ability from it.

but other than that the only other way is to modchip it... think nintendo fix for £35 or something.

7. Pickle12122

Newcomer Pickle12122 Member

United States
    I have this same problem. I just ordered a flatmii because I have two wiis with broken disc drives.
    Anywho I believe I still have the ability to use trucha signed discs on 4.0
    I'm hoping I can use it to autoboot a WAD manager disc.
    Once I get it I'll try to post my results.

8. WiiStrudle

Newcomer WiiStrudle Member

Canada
    G2K, I'm in Canada too, and I think your actually in a good position comapred to me with my full brick. I would get a Drivekey, it is a mod chip that requires no soildering and sits between the disk drive and the drive motherboard. I think you could easily boot waninkoko's IOS downgrader and install 3.2U again, fix all your IOS, and be in good shape again. Then you'd always have the safe guard of a good mod chip and the homebew channel.

9. G2K
    OP

Canada
    Obviously that is the simple solution. Two problems:

1. This is a one time thing. After this I will make sure preloader and eventually BootMii are installed at all times. Then the 50$ for a modchip is down the drain. Plus, I don't have 50$.

2. I've had BAD experiences with things not working for me. Things that have always worked for everyone, I'm normally the first person to have it not work. Even if I do buy a modchip, there's a good change I wouldn't be able to get an autoboot disk to load.

10. BigBolt

Newcomer BigBolt Member

Brazil
    that happened because you have reinstalled a system menu, so preloader got unistalled automatically

11. G2K
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I think we've established that already...