Hacking Bricked R4 3DS?

C Dale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a R4i 3DS Gold for a few years now and recently I used it to install bootstrap9 on a 3ds using ntrboot. That worked fine, and I continued to install Luma, no issuues.

A few days ago, I was going to use it to setup CFW on another 3DS running 11.5. I put the card in, nothing. The 3DS did not recognize that there was a cartridge in it.

I wiped the SD card and redownloaded the base files from R4's website (wood R4 Kernel) and threw a game on there. Same thing, the 3DS doesn't even see the there's a cartridge in the slot.

Am I doing something wrong, or did my R4 just die on me? It's a few years old, but I find it odd that it worked perfectly to ntrboot on a DS and the very next one I tried to mod did not work at all.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a R4i 3DS Gold for a few years now and recently I used it to install bootstrap9 on a 3ds using ntrboot. That worked fine, and I continued to install Luma, no issuues.

A few days ago, I was going to use it to setup CFW on another 3DS running 11.5. I put the card in, nothing. The 3DS did not recognize that there was a cartridge in it.

I wiped the SD card and redownloaded the base files from R4's website (wood R4 Kernel) and threw a game on there. Same thing, the 3DS doesn't even see the there's a cartridge in the slot.

Am I doing something wrong, or did my R4 just die on me? It's a few years old, but I find it odd that it worked perfectly to ntrboot on a DS and the very next one I tried to mod did not work at all.
since you already flashed the cart with ntrboot you can skip that step

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nothing is wrong you just never restored your flashcard so now it already has ntrboot and you can skip that step in the guide . . . start here Installing boot9strap (ntrboot) - 3DS Guide

C Dale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you already flashed the cart with ntrboot you can skip that step

Ok, I was assuming that putting ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi on the SD card just loaded something on the 3DS and didn't actually flash firmware on the
nothing is wrong you just never restored your flashcard so now it already has ntrboot and you can skip that step in the guide . . . start here Installing boot9strap (ntrboot) - 3DS Guide

So, do I even need a SD card inside the R4 cart at this point? It sounds like what I did previously actually flashed the firmware of the cart and the exploit is running directly from the chipset.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I was assuming that putting ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi on the SD card just loaded something on the 3DS and didn't actually flash firmware on the

So, do I even need a SD card inside the R4 cart at this point? It sounds like what I did previously actually flashed the firmware of the cart and the exploit is running directly from the chipset.
at this point the r4 is only needed to trigger the combo key to boot into safeb9sinstaller and you dont even need the sd in the cart anymore so basically you can just skip the ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi part

Reactions: C Dale

C Dale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point the r4 is only needed to trigger the combo key to boot into safeb9sinstaller and you dont even need the sd in the cart anymore so basically you can just skip the ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi part

If I ever wanted to use my R4 cart normally again, to play games, is there a way to flash it back?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I ever wanted to use my R4 cart normally again, to play games, is there a way to flash it back?

Nevermind, I see in the guide where it covers that. Thank you all this has been really helpful.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nevermind, I see in the guide where it covers that. Thank you all this has been really helpful.
yes theres a section on 3ds.guide about it here https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot) just scroll down and under the finalizing setup link theres a guide

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu