Bricked ps3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DaMummy, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011

Bricked ps3? by DaMummy at 2:04 PM (1,664 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. DaMummy
    OP

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    well it seems like i may have finally done it, my first brick of any kind, anyway, heres what happened, i had kmeaw 3.55 and multiman 1.13 already installed, i wanted to update multiman to 1.14, so i had to delete 1.13, after trying that, i got one of those famous corrupted files in xmb under games where multiman was, error 800100something-something, telling me i cant delete it, so i go to do some google searching on how to delete that file, tells me to go to recovery menu and fix file system, so thats what i do, while trying to fix file system, it tells me that the incorrect hdd is in ps3 and it wants to format, i say no as thats where many of my games are, and my save files, upon choosing no, it tells me some error, and i can only shut ps3 down by holding power button, and now i cant turn the ps3 on anymore w/o it telling me that it wants to format, so my question here is, what are my options? is there some way for me to save my games? my save files? trophies? can i plug the hdd into a linux box someway and backup my files? can i somehow install firmware again? ill take any ideas, please people im desperate here

2. XXLANCEXX

Member XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    find a sata adapter for the PC and use PS3 Swiss army knife or a HDD Formatting Program and try to back up your stuff theyre but you will have to install the 3.55 OFW and then put Kmeaw CFW back on

3. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Seems to me you don't have a paperweight. Its just your hard drive that got corrupted.
    I am sorry for what I am about to say.
    Hard drives (flash drives by the matter) gets can get corrupted at any time its a known fact on any system. Even more if you turn it off while its writing on it.
    Ps3 hard drives have a proprietary filesystem that cant be read by any other system.
    You got 2 choices here:
    1.Buy a new hard drive and try to recover it later on when homebrew gets developped.

2. Format your hard drive and say bye bye to your saves.

4. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    funny... your PS3 is not bricked since you can still access your PS3.

Only thing you need to do is to full format your HDD. You cant salvage your save files and such.. since its HDD related error.

5. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    gimme more info on this...youre the only one that thinks i can get my stuff back...

6. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    fyi... you cant do anything on that HDD, even if you put on some kind of adapter.

That HDD is not even recognized by windows, so if you tried to initialized the HDD.. then youre doomed.. next time you insert it your PS3... it will ask you to format your HDD.

btw.... there are no working backup/data recovery methods (except the recovery menu) that has been proven useful. You can only do occasion backups by your self... that what i do on my PS3 every week.

7. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    i have a 750gb hdd in my ps3, so backups are kind of time consuming and well....just not something i feel like doing

8. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    well i can still get into recovery mode, which does include update ps3 firmware, can i do something with this?

9. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    No, your firmware is fine.

10. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    well it seems like im all out of options, format is the only way to go, as i see no possible way to get all my stuff back. ps3 refuses to recognize the filesystem, and i cant fix it from recovery mode either, why we still cant access the ps3 internal hdd on windows/linux is beyond me