Hacking Brick Warning! Those who have modchips.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
what about preloader hacks, such as the ones that blocks updates from games?

Edit: Also, if you are on 4.0, wouldnt the game NOT update to 3.4?

Black.Pearl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@mattjd
Yes, the download-patch-install-method works really fine!

I used the title-lister to find out my IOS revisions. (I`m on a 3.2E, cIOS38rev14as249, WK2)
The tool shows me, that the IOS 50 v5120 is definitive installed.
What happens, if I upgrade my FW to 3.4E with the SoftMii Firmware Downgrader v1.11?
Wiil this update cause a brick, too?
If you downgrade to 3.2E first (how I have done it) and then you reinstall of the
IOS 50 v4889 with the WAD-Manager e.g., will you also have a brick?

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No as long as you have IOS 50 v4889 installed you will be fine just either downgrade with DOP IOS or download the wad with NUSD and install that wad.

Plus if you use Firmware Downgrader 1.11 it will also downgrade the IOS 50 because thats what it needs to run.

It is just when you install it via Disc channel. It think's that your wii has a newer version of IOS50 then what is on the disc, so it just leaves it like that but stupid enough its a STUB so its basically useless. So the system menu wont operate which will leave you with a brick.

Just make sure you have the Block Disc update's on with either Preloader or Startpatch. If you are on a system menu below 3.4

Black.Pearl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wanted to reserve the higher-disc-update-method to have a possibility,
for unbricking my console with the safemii-frii-trick.

Black.Pearl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@mattjd
Would this trick not be possible also with a bricked console?
I mean, if a wii with the IOS50 v5120 would be updated with a disc-update3.4.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
can you not just delete IOS50 stub with anytitle deleter and if it asks you to update it'll install the one needed by the game????

yes, that works fine.

many are forgetting the catch-22 of this situation regarding the new boot2. if you are on a system that doesn't support old IOS, than it is impossible for you to be on a system menu using a lower number IOS currently, and have a stub for one of the ones you might upgrade to, because you'd be bricked right now.

for example, lets say you are on menu 3.2.
this means you have a non-stub IOS30
so either you are on an old system using truly old IOS and you are in no danger,
or you are on a newer system with some kinda bastardized cIOScorp IOS, which is also "safe" in its own way.

so in this situation, if you have the real IOS, you may have a stub for 50, so delete that, and if you update from disc (but why would you?) problem solved.
and in similar fashion, if you have the cioscorp package, you have no stubs, and you can safely update as well.

so, in the end, just use Dop-IOS to check yourself out, and you can "unstub" your system or just use ATD to remove any stubs (id keep IOS4, it doesnt hurt anything, but thats up to you), and all fear is resolved.

we always come back to the old, just read and know what the heck you are doing.

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone with a Modchip which isnt a LU64+ model. Just use DOP IOS and downgrade all IOS's that are 36 and below and upgrade to the latest for IOS 37 and above and apply the trucha bug for them. This is the safest combo and enable's trucha bugged games. (I think and shop channel or system menu IOS's only have the option for downgrade so do that)

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I'm on 4.1J, this doesn't concern me, right?
I do have IOS50 vers: 5120 as reported by Title Lister.

Interestingly SignCheck didn't report this IOS50 being present at all.

So yeah, since i'm on 4.1J, games won't even attempt to install 3.4, so i'm in the clear, right?

WiiCrazy: have you had time to patch Title Lister for SDHC by any chance? ^^

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TheShadowRunner said:
Hmm I'm on 4.1J, this doesn't concern me, right?
I do have IOS50 vers: 5120 as reported by Title Lister.

Interestingly SignCheck didn't report this IOS50 being present at all.

So yeah, since i'm on 4.1J, games won't even attempt to install 3.4, so i'm in the clear, right?

WiiCrazy: have you had time to patch Title Lister for SDHC by any chance? ^^

SignCheck does not read stub's and yes your safe on 4.1 You should only owrry if your ona system menu below 3.4 and have the stub installed
tongue.gif
which is easy too fix (DOP IOS)

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People talk about being able to fix certain bricks by using a game with a later System Menu version on it, which of course no games have higher than 3.4 on them, so they say these people are screwed till something comes out with 4.0 or later.

Would it not be possible to inject a newer version of the system menu into an ISO?

Yes, I realize this would only work if you have a modchip (which I do).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This whole disc with update to recover from bicks is next to useless. That it only works with modchips is a minor issue with that.

If you updated to 3.4 while the 3.4 IOS is the stub IOS ==> full brick, BootMii as boot2 and nand flashers are the only help

If you put 4.0 update into a disc, it's trucha signed, so it won't work on 3.4, where did you want to use that again?

There are a few exceptions when you can recover from a brick with a disc with higher system menu, but there are many conditions for it to work, so really nobody should count on it, or point it out as advantage of modchips. Unlike as on other consoles, modchips for Wii do not mod the Wii, they only mod the drive.

recacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I hope this is on topic for what you guys are going on and on about (and yes, for the record I have read every post in this topic).

My current setup is (since it's install back in dec '08)...

3.2u
d2pro9 with wii key
never been soft-modded
never been connected to internet
never been updated by any game forced updates

but yet now i cant seem to play any of the newer games (wii resort & birthday bash). i have attempted to dl/backup/play the 2 newer games but get no results.

the dl/backup goes smooth. the games load fine all the way to the title screen. but after pressing ok, all i get is a blank black screen. i have to unplug the wii in order for the wii to reset. all previous games play fine (still).

any idea as to what's up? has nintendo finally found a way to block playing b/ups? is there any way around this?

i remember seeing one of the forced updates on a b/up of mario power tennis. so, after seeing this...

QUOTE said:
Q. Can I still update my Wii via the internet?
A. Yes. All wii updates have been safe, and do not affect modchips, due to the modchip being on the DVD drive, and not the motherboard. The current latest firmware 3.4e, is safe.

on ozmodchips, i decided to insert the game and go through with the update. well, actually i inserted the game and stared at the ominous warning screen that said the update could make the wii inoperable. i swear i stared at that screen for a good 10 minutes, body temperature rising in fear of bricking, and finally deciding to NOT do the update. but now, after reading that q&a again, i think it might be referring to the mod that connect directly to the dvd drive.

so i here i sit, asking for advice. will i ever get to play the newer games?

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont know about that chip, but the drivekey( I have a generic one) will run them all. Just get a new chip, I know you can get some for less than 25 dollars now that are generic drivekey. easy to install. So they havent blocked everything yet. The 3X speed isnt that bad except on a couple games (Need for speed undercover is the only game I cant fully play).

recacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yes, the drive key. innit that the one that connects directly to the dvd drive rather snapping over the security chip on the mobo? didn't really want to fork out more dough for another mod option. hmm, decisions decisions.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
awesome read im glad i wont be updating via disk any time soon!

I wondered on point of BOOT2 Bootmii installs...

I am on 3.2U and i downgraded FROM 3.4 installed preloader and Cioscorps v1
However i CANNOT install to Boot2 (from what i have read in these pages maybe because of the downfgrade itself in the softmii package used to softmod the console?) but I also noted that We CAN NOW USE OTHER PEOPLES NAND BACKUPS! using the tool released on the forums today Betwiin is a tool that will let you convert NAND dumps from one Wii to run on another

My Question is:

Does this effect the ability to install to BOOT2 for those of us who cannot do so ATM?say if we used the nand backup of someone who can intall it? or does this not matter at all?

THANX IN ADVANCED!

I ONLY load games via Usb Loader GX (no issues there at all for me on 3.2 all but wii sports resort works fine but then i have NO intent of using the disk channel for anything any time soon I bought a TB so i have a ton of HDD space
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, Hi