Hacking Brick Warning! Those who have modchips.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Now, what if we don't have any of the "IOS" things install on our Wii and only have a modchip?

Are we safe? Because I don't fool around with Softmod shit, I just use my modchip to play burnt games and thats it. I could care less about Homebrew Channel or pirating Virtual Console games.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
NeSchn said:
Now, what if we don't have any of the "IOS" things install on our Wii and only have a modchip?

Are we safe? Because I don't fool around with Softmod shit, I just use my modchip to play burnt games and thats it. I could care less about Homebrew Channel or pirating Virtual Console games.

Yeah less pleasure like doing sx using a condom but also it's the safest... not touching any homebrew I mean...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ooooohhhh so you mean if you get 4.0 and transform your IOS50 into an "stub" IOS, then downgrade to 3.3 or earlier......and then try to upgrade to 3.4 again..?? now I get it, so nothing to do with mine, and unfortunately I leave it in México and I'm in Canada for now, so I didn't check recovery menu out (was too sad to even try it) when I was there, and now I can't cause I don't have it with me..!!
tongue.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Whizz said:
But how does this affect modchip users? Just people who have also applied some sort of software mod should be affected by this, am I right?

Actually both softmods and hardmods are affected, but the risc for modchip users is 100 times higher, because:
1. Softmods can't update from backup discs
2. People with modchips tend to be ignorant "i have a modchip, softmoding just sucks, i don't need to care about anything" (most are not like this, but you get what i mean)

Devvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How this works is because when updating to 4.0, IOS50 becomes a stub. Then downgrading back to 3.3 or under, that stub is kept. Then updating to 3.4, it skips IOS50 because it's a newer one. IOS50 is essential to 3.4, therefore full brick.

I just wonder if there are any other cases similar like this yet to be found.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
UranusKiller said:
well someone who has never fucked about doing retarded downgrading won't ever have this problem.

Exactly. The problem are many of the modchip users, most of them want to play their games from the disc channel. If they patched discs, and they do that a lot(brickcrap, region patchers), they need to downgrade* in order to get the games working.

*And/or install patched versions of ALL IOS

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
yes but a modchip user wouldn't ever hit this problem, they could just use a different loader than a disk channel. It is a bad brick situation from the stub, but people shouldn't downgrade to re-update for a start anyway, it's immoral.

[EDIT] I just thought, idiots who downgrade/upgrade/downgrade what not, don't these people usually have hacks like skip updates from preloader/starpatch etc? or am I missing something here?

So it's their fault they've bricked, great job.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
UranusKiller said:
yes but a modchip user wouldn't ever hit this problem, they could just use a different loader than a disk channel. It is a bad brick situation from the stub, but people shouldn't downgrade to re-update for a start anyway, it's immoral.

[EDIT] I just thought, idiots who downgrade/upgrade/downgrade what not, don't these people usually have hacks like skip updates from preloader/starpatch etc? or am I missing something here?

So it's their fault they've bricked, great job.

Sadly these people are the kind that accepts updates on the disc channel, and has to play all games from the disc channel. Consider that cioscorp even exists for such people.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
WiiPower said:
Actually both softmods and hardmods are affected, but the risc for modchip users is 100 times higher, because:
1. Softmods can't update from backup discs
2. People with modchips tend to be ignorant "i have a modchip, softmoding just sucks, i don't need to care about anything" (most are not like this, but you get what i mean)

I just want to cearify, that softmod users starting/playing original games can be affected also.
The whole thread sounds like "softmodders: no problem/issue with this"

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
im still on 3.2 with bootmii installed and done a nand backup. am i safe? or am i the only person on 3.2 and everyones upgraded to 4.0? lol thx

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
screamq3 said:
im still on 3.2 with bootmii installed and done a nand backup. am i safe? or am i the only person on 3.2 and everyones upgraded to 4.0? lol thx

Those who have bootmii installed on boot2 are safe even if they have no good nand backups... For the worse case bushing has a service to prepare a nand dump for bricked wiis given a working nand dump and the bricked wii's nand dump...

xboxrules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running an original Wasabi chip (which got a lot of use before HDD loading) and my Wii is on 3.3U but now use the HDD method and USB Loader GX to run my games. I never went down the bootmii and preloader path (or starfall and the other one) so could I get advice, please? I'm going to do bootmii tonight (if time permits) but curious if I need to do preloader or starfall etc as well?

mar093

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devvar said:
How this works is because when updating to 4.0, IOS50 becomes a stub. Then downgrading back to 3.3 or under, that stub is kept. Then updating to 3.4, it skips IOS50 because it's a newer one. IOS50 is essential to 3.4, therefore full brick.

I just wonder if there are any other cases similar like this yet to be found.
I think that my wii got bricked because of this and I dont have preloader or bootmii I think im screwed!

PeJm05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys im new here. i have a modded (chip soldered) i did an update for punch out and now i dont have any video or sound, but it does turn on and it does accept games. The power light is green. Is there anything I can do? And i did have v 3.2

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
PeJm05 said:
Sorry guys im new here. i have a modded (chip soldered) i did an update for punch out and now i dont have any video or sound, but it does turn on and it does accept games. The power light is green. Is there anything I can do? And i did have v 3.2

Have you read most of this thread, and have you downgraded anytime in the past, cause if this is your problem i'm sorry but there's no easy way to fix this, unless you have installed bootmii to boot2

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
WiiPower said:
4.0->downgrade to 3.2->update to 3.4 via disc->brick. Like the 1st post describes.
So 4.1 -> 3.2 -> 4.1 -> 3.2 -> 4.1 (you get the picture) ... thats ok?
meaning, as long as we do not pass by 3.4, it's ok?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
madridi4ever said:
WiiPower said:
4.0->downgrade to 3.2->update to 3.4 via disc->brick. Like the 1st post describes.
So 4.1 -> 3.2 -> 4.1 -> 3.2 -> 4.1 (you get the picture) ... thats ok?
meaning, as long as we do not pass by 3.4, it's ok?

What's special about 3.4 is recent games come with an update to 3.4... No games contain either 4.0 or 4.1 update yet and updating to 4.0 or 4.1 has no risks at the moment even such games released... The reason is : IOS 60 used by both 4.0 and 4.1 is not a stub and will not be in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/8wi6dnzLcZ0?si=5zWGTK0CMXO3DJcb +2