Hacking Brick Proof Wii

alimami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
hi.
I have a 3.2j wii and i dont want to update it for a while.
i want to brick proof it and i dont have any information.
plz help.

alimami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
thank you.But on wiibrew said that installing the preloader has the risk of bricking.it's neccessary to install the preloader??

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alimami said:
thank you.But on wiibrew said that installing the preloader has the risk of bricking.it's neccessary to install the preloader??

In order to make a wii "brick proof", you have to go through the risk of bricking the wii. Although the risk is very small, as preloader and bootmii have undergone extensive testing.

Even then, you don't really brick proof it, you brick protect it. It is still possible to brick the wii.

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Search around the forums for IOS249 installer.

Also, there is a guide for patching IOS36 (using IOS249) so Preloader can work.

Tried it on my Wii and Preloader works great!
smile.gif

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
pm_41 said:
Search around the forums for IOS249 installer.

Also, there is a guide for patching IOS36 (using IOS249) so Preloader can work.

Tried it on my Wii and Preloader works great!
smile.gif

Your Signature and your misreading of the OP shows me your a very misguided individual.

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Without BootMii and Preloader, your pretty much screwed. I have seen some vids over on youtube where some people have restored a brick using a GC controller and a game with a firmware file (SaveMiiFree?), but I haven't heard it to be widespread yet.

But yeah, if you can install BootMii as boot2, do it. If you can't, Preloader is a nice alternative. However, Preloader doesn't offer as much protection as BootMii.

Also, if you cannot install to boot2 but you can install BootMii to IOS, do that, as BootMii has a kick-butt NAND backup/resotre tool.

And another thing, even if you get BootMii installed on boot2, install Preloader anyways, as it has some pretty sweet System Menu hacks (region free disc channel, skip the health screen on boot-up, move the disc channel, ect.).
smile.gif

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would strongly recommend you to install bootmii in /boot2 and do a NAND backup (don't interrupt the verify!!!)
Now you're brick proof!

If you like - because of the hacks - you can also install preloader. No reason to be afraid of bricking your wii during the install process, because your'e already brick proof.

alimami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
for installing the bootmii or preloader do i need to connect to network?
after installing these two programs can i uninstall them after install?

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
alimami said:
thank you i got my answers.
i have another question :is using NUS downloader can brick my wii?

NUS downloader is used for getting files from N update server and pack them in a wad file.
So the answer is yes. Any program that modifies your nand can cause a brick.
But the probability is not very high.

dbest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
supagusti said:
I would strongly recommend you to install bootmii in /boot2 and do a NAND backup (don't interrupt the verify!!!)
Now you're brick proof!

If you like - because of the hacks - you can also install preloader. No reason to be afraid of bricking your wii during the install process, because your'e already brick proof.

Due to the version of Wii that I have, I cannot install bootmii in /boot2.

What are the recommended steps that I should take?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Brick protection(in descending order):
1. Don't get a Wii
2. Only use official nintendo stuff
3. BootMii as boot2 installed with nand backup
4. ...
5. BootMii as boot2 installed without nand backup
6. ...
7. ...
8. Preloader
9. ...
10. Starfall with the correct options and the twilight hack installed and staying at system menu 3.2

Not listed brain™ and modchips. I really won't add modchips to the list, because there are as much ifs for them as with starfall. And modchips users are mostly just too stupid to know even the basics, like that every patching of a disc makes it trucha signed, and then it only runs if the used IOS has the trucha bug.

Nada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
WiiPower said:
Brick protection(in descending order):
1. Don't get a Wii
2. Only use official nintendo stuff
3. BootMii as boot2 installed with nand backup
4. ...
5. BootMii as boot2 installed without nand backup
6. ...
7. ...
8. Preloader
9. ...
10. Starfall with the correct options and the twilight hack installed and staying at system menu 3.2

Not listed brain? and modchips. I really won't add modchips to the list, because there are as much ifs for them as with starfall. And modchips users are mostly just too stupid to know even the basics, like that every patching of a disc makes it trucha signed, and then it only runs if the used IOS has the trucha bug.

Thought I'd ask a question in this thread too, seeing as that it's about BootMii aswell.
Surfing the official BootMii Forums, I get the feeling the tool is still very much in testing (it's still a beta after all): -->Threads of people bricking their Wii after reinstalling their NAND Backup etc. -> How stable is this Tool exactly atm, is it worth waiting for a full non-beta release before installing (flashing the Boot2 sounds really risky to me and doing it more then once to update BootMii or something isn't something I think I would want to do).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay