Bravely Default Language Auto-selecting Japanese?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pu1se80, Mar 21, 2015.

1. pu1se80
    OP

pu1se80 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Japanese N3ds user here. (Gateway and Sky3ds)

I have a US version Bravely Default CIA, but the game is auto-selecting Japanese for the language. Um, why? And how can I stop it, lol. Are there other games that exhibit this behavior?

2. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Language is chosen based on the language of the 3DS itself.

Some games like Pokemon allow you to choose a language, but most won't.

You'll have to change your emuNAND's region to EU/US if you want to play games in your preferred language.

3. pu1se80
    OP

pu1se80 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Wait, is that a thing? Can emunand be from another region than the console itself? I'll have to have a peek around. Thanks.

4. NeroAngelo

NeroAngelo Clueless Importer

Dec 31, 2003
    Libya
    ummm ... isn't Bravely Default a multi language rom ? quite sure the japanese version had language selection option ...

edit: aaack nvm , that was For the Sequel ... but isn't EU/US BD based on For the Sequel?!

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    its not something you can do on the n3DS yet

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Can't you just change the 3DS's language to English?

7. pu1se80
    OP

pu1se80 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    First, looks like the emunand from another region idea isn't exactly a science yet. Not sure it's being worked on either.

As far as English being selectable, it is, though you have to play through the opening section I think before you can access the option to change it. It just prickles my stupid OCD ass when something doesn't work the way "I" want it to, lol.

The sad thing is, I actually have a US N3ds but wanted to save it. Partially so I have the good one in case I bork anything up with my noob script-kiddy skeelz and also to justify the money I wasted on the Japanese model thinking I was so smart to get in while the firmwares were exploitable.

8. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    JPN 3DS only has JPN language in it, so it can't be changed without hacking..

(to be precise, other languages are programmed in, but cannot be selected)

9. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Well that's rather dickish of them, on top of region-locking already being a dick move... :/

10. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Good point. I missed that bit.

No. You can't choose different languages on a Japanese 3DS.

Please don't use that word. It's insensitive, offensive and derogatory. "JP" is the preferred abbreviation.

11. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    I recently found out that the US-Version of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. contains European languages, probably Japanese, too (didn't test).
    And this game is about to release over here in nearly two months... I don't know what Nintendo is thinking, but it's just mean to let people wait two months for an already finished piece of software.

Jayro likes this.
  12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Welcome to the 21st century, we are far away from the second world war and the american occupation.
    Jap shouldn't be considered derogatory anymore, it is just a fucking abbreviation.
    In any case they still call themselves Yamato, that derives from the Chinese way of seeing them as midgets (and that was in a derogatory fashion). Hell if that is not derogatory, but "Jap" is, what the hell is this world.
    I hate how in the English language one of every there words is considered offensive and you should go around with a lawyer just to talk.

PS: actually, that is completely inaccurate as Yamato does not derive from Ya as I thought, so take all I said in the post and throw it to garbage, except my opinion of the BS thing about the English language and it's 'offensive' words.

Queno138 likes this.
  13. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    Didn't mean it in a derogatory manner.

meant JP or JPN.

#fixed.

14. pu1se80
    OP

pu1se80 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the helpful info guys. Guess I'm just going to go ahead and get the Japanese version of For the Sequel since there's no censorship in that version... Don't judge me.

15. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, it's released here in the U.S., and it's already in English, so why it isn't shipped to Europe is a mind-boggler.