Braid

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Trolly, Apr 15, 2009.

Apr 15, 2009

Braid by Trolly at 11:12 PM (852 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Trolly
    OP

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I was wondering if anyone else picked up Braid from Steam yet. It's really short for a £10 game, clocking in around 4-5 hours (depends on how quick you are with the puzzles), but I'm honestly really glad I picked it up as it's pure genius. It's basically a platformer (and slightly parodises Mario) in beautiful watercolour where you can rewind and fast forward time to solve incredibly genius puzzles, together with an interesting and original story. Mark my words, it'll make you think more than any other game you play this year.
    Anyway, if you haven't bought it yet, at least give the demo a go because it's just fantastic.

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    yeah, I played it last night. genius! [​IMG] I really love it. spent like 2 hours last night on it. Terrific, I'm going to buy it.

3. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    yeah i played this a while ago. you'll enjoy the last level, its a real head scratcher lol

4. Trolly
    OP

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I finished it after I posted that, best game ending ever. If you search the internet for the real meaning behind the story (because, let's face it, not many people are willing to spend hours collecting the secret stars just for a bit of story), it actually is a really ingenuine plot, it's incredibly difficult to understand without some help though.

5. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Aren't 4-5 hours pretty much the average length of a £10 game?
    The 2D Metroid games are barely any longer and full-price, Lost Winds and Mega Man 9 are also about the same length and price.
    It's really worth the money in all possible ways.

Anyway, awesome game, really enjoyed all the play-throughs I had so far, although the first play-though is obviously the toughest and most fun one.
    It really reminded me of Donkey Kong on the GameBoy, one of my favorite GameBoy games ever. Well, there is a really obvious hint at Donkey Kong in world 3, but besides that the game design and gameplay mechanics are also kinda similar to the GB game. If you've enjoyed Braid and haven't played Donkey Kong on the GameBoy yet, do so. Just don't expect any great graphics, story or music like in Braid, of course.

Talking about the story, the last time I played Braid, I slowly started getting the gist of it. I can't say I fully understood the whole story, but there certainly is more to it than you'll probably think when first playing the game, and you certainly need to read between the lines and bring the elements of the story into the right order, but the story just fits perfectly with the whole game, or that kind of game in general.

6. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Been playing it.. indeed, an amazing game.. at the first level I thought the time thing was used only to restart when you die or make a mistake.. then things start to get more complex and when I got to World 4 my mind was blown.. [​IMG]

7. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I'm intrigued by this comment only played up to world 3 and lost interested, now I will have to go and finishes this game.

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Truly a tribute to intelligent design. I figured this out by world 2 to get some of the puzzle pieces.
    Its quite fun but I've got so much other stuff to play so I haven't given it my proper attention yet.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I just bought this game , and it's indeed quite good.
    I'm not so psyched about this game, but I'm sure my brother (who loved World of Goo) will love this too.
    I got up to world 2, then got bored a bit because I still haven't mastered that time technique :/
    But I'm sure my brother will love this and thank me for it [​IMG]