Hardware Bought used PS4 Slim - Bluetooth eventually fried?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, I've bought a used PS4 Slim from an Ebay seller (just the console, no controller) and received it today. But I almost fear that the Bluetooth receiver is fried. Following situation:

• tried my old PS4 controller that flawlessly works on my old PS4 model, but it does not connect, even when connecting it via USB
  • since I have a Dual Shock 3 to Dual Shock 4 adapter I tried that and it recognizes the DS3 controller using that adapter plugged in into USB, so the USB port is not fried
  • Going into the Bluetooth devices settings I get the error code: CE-30993-4
  • BUT: setting the controller mode to USB and trying to use my DS4 controller plugged into USB also doesn't work
  • only my DS3 via the beforementioned adapter works
  • What I might add is that connecting the DS4 via USB results in the light first flashing orange for a second and then there is no light anymore
So is the PS4 somehow defective?

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, I've bought a used PS4 Slim from an Ebay seller (just the console, no controller) and received it today. But I almost fear that the Bluetooth receiver is fried. Following situation:

• tried my old PS4 controller that flawlessly works on my old PS4 model, but it does not connect, even when connecting it via USB
  • since I have a Dual Shock 3 to Dual Shock 4 adapter I tried that and it recognizes the DS3 controller using that adapter plugged in into USB, so the USB port is not fried
  • Going into the Bluetooth devices settings I get the error code: CE-30993-4
  • BUT: setting the controller mode to USB and trying to use my DS4 controller plugged into USB also doesn't work
  • only my DS3 via the beforementioned adapter works
  • What I might add is that connecting the DS4 via USB results in the light first flashing orange for a second and then there is no light anymore
So is the PS4 somehow defective?
1 first reset the controller by pushing with a toothpick in the rear small hole of the controller (5sec),connect with usb cable .
2 see i you can enter safe mode withe the controller connected to usb (safe mode uses the usb cable to transfer the controls ,os uses bluetooth) reset ps4
3 use the share + ps button (5 sec) on controller
4 try holding it close to the ps4 ,if it works might be bad wifi/bluetooth antenna ,they can easily break(solderpoint breaks,can be fixed by resoldering the wire like an coax tv cable) when dropped ,but it's an easy repair .check ifixit for more details
5 bluetooth module is dead ,cost about 10€but you need a hotair gun and some skills to replace it

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1 first reset the controller by pushing with a toothpick in the rear small hole of the controller (5sec),connect with usb cable .
2 see i you can enter safe mode withe the controller connected to usb (safe mode uses the usb cable to transfer the controls ,os uses bluetooth) reset ps4
3 use the share + ps button (5 sec) on controller
4 try holding it close to the ps4 ,if it works might be bad wifi/bluetooth antenna ,they can easily break(solderpoint breaks,can be fixed by resoldering the wire like an coax tv cable) when dropped ,but it's an easy repair .check ifixit for more details
5 bluetooth module is dead ,cost about 10€but you need a hotair gun and some skills to replace it

I can control the safe mode via USB, so it seems to be the Bluetooth. I might add that I also got an error while trying to get my WifFi connections. A big issue now is that I initialized the PS4 to see if it fixes the issue... Now I can't even use my adapter on it and I'm stuck on the "connect your controller" screen. So it's a brick now.

Edit: Why can't I control the system normally via USB connection? Is it because the controller is an old 1st gen PS4 controller?

Last edited by moonblood666,

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
USB controls only work in safe mode.os uses bluetooth and the USB is only for charging.you can easilly check the wifi antennas if you remove the covers.there's 1 in front ,1on the psu in the back and 1 on the side .the connections on the module are under the psu.
But i think the wifi/bluetooth is dead because i repaired a few with similar problems

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PS if you played with paypal you can ask for a refund

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
USB controls only work in safe mode.os uses bluetooth and the USB is only for charging.you can easilly check the wifi antennas if you remove the covers.there's 1 in front ,1on the psu in the back and 1 on the side .the connections on the module are under the psu.
But i think the wifi/bluetooth is dead because i repaired a few with similar problems

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PS if you played with paypal you can ask for a refund

I see. Well if the refund won't work for some reason, is there a way to get past that welcome screen after the initialization? As I said, before the initialization I could at least use my PS3 controller via adapter, but somehow it doesn't recognize it now after the initialization.

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I see. Well if the refund won't work for some reason, is there a way to get past that welcome screen after the initialization? As I said, before the initialization I could at least use my PS3 controller via adapter, but somehow it doesn't recognize it now after the initialization.
It's restored to factory settings i'me affraid not.you can open An case on paypal to try and get a refund ,paypal Will contact the seller

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn, I didn open a case at Ebay. Should I do so again at Paypal?
As long as you open a case and the seller didn't mentioned the fault or discribed it as defective you should get you're money back.only thing that can happen is that you wil have to pay for the return order,don't really now how that works

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As long as you open a case and the seller didn't mentioned the fault or discribed it as defective you should get you're money back.only thing that can happen is that you wil have to pay for the return order,don't really now how that works
Well, he denied any refunds in the description on Ebay, so I hope the Paypal rules override that. On the other hand it is clear that I didn't open the system to break it myself since he somehow even put safety stickers on the case to see if it has been opened (perhaps in case of a refund).

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Is it maybe just the antenna that is not correctly attached anymore (perhaps due to bad treatment during the shipment)? I mean the WiFI did also throw an error code. But would error codes result from a loose antenna. Wouldn't this indicate a fried BT chip?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No it was marked as used and I specifically asked him in a PM if the console is fully functional, which he confirmed. In fact I already started a refund case on Ebay. I just wonder if factory resetting may have made the thing worse. Before you could use adapters or wired 3rd party controllers at least. Now after the factory reset in the options (initialize) you can't get past the setupscreen anymore either way since BT is required for the initial setup step if you reset the console or use it for the first time. I worry that the guy will hold it against me and re-refund. I mean now it really is a brick.

Last edited by moonblood666,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it was marked as used and I specifically asked him in a PM if the console is fully functional, which he confirmed. In fact I already started a refund case on Ebay. I just wonder if factory resetting may have made the thing worse. Before you could use adapters or wired 3rd party controllers at least. Now after the factory reset in the options (initialize) you can't get past the setupscreen anymore either way since BT is required for the initial setup step if you reset the console or use it for the first time. I worry that the guy will hold it against me and re-refund. I mean now it really is a brick.

Well you shouldn't have factory reset it, now the seller has something to argue against, since you temper with it, you probably won't get a refund, the return policy is if you don't mess with it, should be return as your received it.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Damn. Well in case this will be an issue I try to argue that the factory reset is a built in function. Technically I mess with the system just by changing the resolution. I hope everything goes well.

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn. Well in case this will be an issue I try to argue that the factory reset is a built in function. Technically I mess with the system just by changing the resolution. I hope everything goes well.
if he sells it as fully functional then the wifi and bluetooth would work.not everyone has a ps3 adapter.just say you connected a ps4 controller and it didn't work,there's nothing wrong with a reset as long as you don't open it.

MadMaxGR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Usually resoldering/reflowing or replacing the Bluetooth IC resolves this problem.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-was-on-the-wanted-list.652482/#post-10389264