Bought a processor...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Avid, Jun 19, 2010.

Jun 19, 2010

Bought a processor... by Avid at 11:47 PM (988 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Avid
    OP

Newcomer Avid Member

United States
    While I went with my mother on garage sale hunting, I found a never-before-used AMD Athlon XP processor. Well, to be honest, My mom found it. Since she knows I'm into computers, she bought it for USD $5. After doing some research, I found out it is really old. I was wondering if by any chance that there may be some motherboards for this processor? I don't want to waste a new processor. Especially since it's new.

2. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Any Socket A motherboard should work.

3. Avid
    OP

Newcomer Avid Member

United States
    Now that I know what type of motherboard it is, it's now time to look for the cheapest one. Thanks, Thoob.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    those things date back to the P4 days

5. Alato

Member Alato GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hey, I fixed up an old PC for a friend with the same processor just a few months ago. Runs at about 1.3 Ghz. Now that he has a job, he can finally afford a better computer though, fortunately.

But yeah, if you can't find find a motherboard under 10$ either, don't bother. You can probably get a better computer for just around 25$ now.

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I picked up a PC with a E1200 and 4GB ram off eBay for £65 including shipping.

It really isn't worth spending money on an old processor like that, not by the time you get all the components.