Bought a processor...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Avid, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Avid
    OP

Avid Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2010
    United States
    While I went with my mother on garage sale hunting, I found a never-before-used AMD Athlon XP processor. Well, to be honest, My mom found it. Since she knows I'm into computers, she bought it for USD $5. After doing some research, I found out it is really old. I was wondering if by any chance that there may be some motherboards for this processor? I don't want to waste a new processor. Especially since it's new.

2. Thoob

Thoob LOLmonade.

May 28, 2009
    Scotland
    Any Socket A motherboard should work.

3. Avid
    OP

Avid Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2010
    United States
    Now that I know what type of motherboard it is, it's now time to look for the cheapest one. Thanks, Thoob.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    those things date back to the P4 days

5. Alato

Alato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2008
    Canada
    Hey, I fixed up an old PC for a friend with the same processor just a few months ago. Runs at about 1.3 Ghz. Now that he has a job, he can finally afford a better computer though, fortunately.

But yeah, if you can't find find a motherboard under 10$ either, don't bother. You can probably get a better computer for just around 25$ now.

6. tk_saturn

tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2010
    I picked up a PC with a E1200 and 4GB ram off eBay for £65 including shipping.

It really isn't worth spending money on an old processor like that, not by the time you get all the components.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice