Bought a already softmod wii, need some help/advice

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by RodrigoR, Dec 21, 2015.

1. RodrigoR
    OP

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    Hi,
    I recently bought a wii for my nephew I though it was not modded, but it was.
    I have some experience with mod/programming, I modded my vWii on Wii U but I know that wii is diff and have others stuff, thats why i need some advice on what was done here and what i should do.
    Here what i can say about it:
    It have Uloader and Usbloader GX installed on Nand (Usbloader GX also as channel fowarder, so 2 usbloader gx -_-)
    I wanted to delete those and leave then instaled on SD (like i did on my vWii), they also seem quite old.

Question:
    Can i delete then normally on the conf-> channel or do i need to use some app?
    Can i leave the usbloader gx channel fowarder and install the updated one on sd normally or should i do a fresh install?
    My point in taking those off the nand is that it can't update or download covers there, always give me error, also i dont like stuff instaled on nand aside the HBC. I dont use GC, WW or VC at all, just plain wii backup games.

Can i update the d2x ios safelly?
    (its v10 atm if not mistaken, judging by how old this mod is prolly it have an older version)
    What do i need or must do? (worth making a nand backup and all at this point?)
    bellow are the syscheck with the installed ios and stuff.

If you can just point the steps i need to go thru its enough.
    I plan to give this wii as xmax gift to my nephew, but i want to do a clean and nice job on this mod.
    Appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

SysCheck Result:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    the basic principal of softmodding a Wii and vWill are the same, just make sure you don't mix the apps/files and don't mess with standard ios (those below 200). In fact, modding a Wii is much easier than vWii - you don't need any disc game, just use letterbomb.

If you have the original wads, you can use a wad manager to un-install unwanted channels. If not, you can use AnyTitleDeleter to delete them. Just make sure you know exactly what you are going to delete. Deleting the wrong channel and you got a brick.

If your channel forwarder is not up to date, you should remove it and install the updated one. Update your usbloadergx too if it is not r12xx. See Cyan's signature.

Installing a new cios will simply overwrite the old installation and is perfectly safe.

A nand backup before making any changes is always a good idea especially if you have bootmii as boot2. I am not sure if you had bootmii as boot2 but at least you have prilloader.

If you are going to play only Wii games, updating usbloader and the cios (249 base 56 or 57 should cover over 90% of the games or if you wish 249(56),250(57) and 251(58)) is all you need to do.

3. RodrigoR
    OP

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    thanks,
    I just want to delete the usbloader gx , uloader (both installed on nand) and then delete the usbloader gx forwarder channel to re-install with sd install.
    I bought it already as it is, so idk what is done on it.
    I know what i can see on channels at least and on the syscheck. (the wii didn't came with the sd card, so no wads or apps used on hbc)
    It have 2 usbloader gx channel (1 nand installed-works outdated and 1 fowarder-dont work, no sd card) and 1 uloader - works using hemers cios it seems and the hbc channel, the rest are standard wii channels, it doesnt bother me.
    And i cant update the usbloader gx (the nand one) nor download covers, it says error - access denied (installed on nand ofc), and the uloader is too slow and ugly xD also have never heard of it before, again i didnt had a wii, i have a wii u, so i think this mod was done long ago, as the usbloader rev is quite old.
    So i want to do a fresh SD install of usbloader+ fowarder channel.
    Can i delete those on channel config or do i need to use an specific app? (usbloadergx, usloadergxforwarder and uloader).
    The rest i think i'll backup the nand and update the d2x Cios and usbloader to point to sd card install. I have one 1gb non-hc sd that i'm not using.
    Can you point me a good nand backup app for wii? or i can use the same method i used on vwii?
    Thanks.

4. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    You can use system menu to erase channels but some obscure ones will need AnyTitleDeleter to uninstall.
    The best app to backup your nand with the aim of being able to restore it later is to use bootmii itself. You can launch it from Priiloader or HBC

5. RodrigoR
    OP

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    Thanks for your patience and help.
    I'll try bootmii from hbc, as i dont have the priiloader app, its installed but no app(no sd came with it), so i'm a bit afraid of using another version of priiloader and burn things out.
    I'll let you know later how did it go.
    Thanks again.

6. RodrigoR
    OP

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    All went fine. thanks. (i had to re-install bootmii on ios, it seens my console have patch for boot2).