• Replies 26
  • Likes 3

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't there anyway to downgrade the fw ?

I believe the only way to downgrade the firmware currently is to hardmod the 3DS to allow for NAND dumping/restoring using some separate hardware (apparently, 4 points need to be soldered). And the only way to really downgrade using this method is to restore an earlier firmware version NAND from that console using this separate hardware. I'm pretty sure this is all still in very early stages of development, though.

tl;dr: Not for most of us.

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
If there was, the OP wouldn't have shouted so many fucks in the streets.

Thanks for the obvious clarification, but he could've shouted many fucks in the street if there was a way to downgrade, as he expected something else than 5.1, and that he'll have to go through hell to downgrade.
I believe the only way to downgrade the firmware currently is to hardmod the 3DS to allow for NAND dumping/restoring using some separate hardware (apparently, 4 points need to be soldered). And the only way to really downgrade using this method is to restore an earlier firmware version NAND from that console using this separate hardware. I'm pretty sure this is all still in very early stages of development, though.

tl;dr: Not for most of us.

seems that the new flashcart can backup NAND (im not a pro at this stuff, since im not a huge fan of nintendo), can't he just, as you said, use another console containing 4.5 and back up it's NAND, then restore it on his console?

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
seems that the new flashcart can backup NAND (im not a pro at this stuff, since im not a huge fan of nintendo), can't he just, as you said, use another console containing 4.5 and back up it's NAND, then restore it on his console?
He can't, because the firmware always is encrypted with a key specific to that 3DS and we don't have access to that key. You can only downgrade from a 3DS you already have dumped a previous Firmware version, due to the specific keys you can't just mix Firmwares between 3DSs.

XiTaU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well anything 2012 new will have 4.5 or below as anything above wasnt released unless ur console has a time machine.
I assume thread makers console isnt a new console even if he purchased it as new.

tcww

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Well anything 2012 new will have 4.5 or below as anything above wasnt released unless ur console has a time machine.
I assume thread makers console isnt a new console even if he purchased it as new.

Frankly, I have no idea. Are you saying they could've reboxed new 3ds consoles with an old 2012 box? My interpretation of my predicament is that I should have taken into account the fact that people in the firmware thread have been buying 3ds from europe and usa but not from Japan. It could be the case that due to market demand Japan released a slew of 3ds ll near the end of year 2012 with the firmware updated to 5.1. Or as they're generally really shady here in Hong Kong, they actually repackaged some new 3ds in 2012 boxes.

Another thing to note is that, here in Hong Kong a few of the retailers actually refused my request to look at the box or check what firmware it is. They actually specifically said that it was against their company policy and they don't support modding. I was quite surprised at the time but now I'm just angry. Another retailer said the old firmware 3ds's were all sold out really quickly (not sure if he means ppl are aware of modding, or just that 3ds sales were really good in general). Fuck I should've listened to his advice and look for older 3ds's online or something.

Finally, another piece of the puzzle might be the color. Mine's red/black, but they had blue and white and pink and black as well. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but if I could've gotten 4.5 off the blue/black 3ds I'm gonna go streaking at a nearby park.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Frankly, I have no idea. Are you saying they could've reboxed new 3ds consoles with an old 2012 box?

It would seem that way. 5.1 was not released until April 2013. 3DS has either been used & updated, but still being sold as new or stuck in 2012 box. If there are no returns there, I guess some shady sellers might do that. Stick it in the box you know people are looking for.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It would not be surprising since in China and in Hong-Kong, many consoles are refurbished and many preowned consoles are sold as if they were new. So the serial number on the box and on the console are different.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thanks for the obvious clarification, but he could've shouted many fucks in the street if there was a way to downgrade, as he expected something else than 5.1, and that he'll have to go through hell to downgrade.

Seriously, if all this stuff was possible don't you think we would have done it by now?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always sell it again, leave it as new as possible and get most of the money back for another shot at getting a 4.5 or lower console.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man we are so luck here in the USA with our major retailers and big box stores like Walmart and such that have the most liberal return policies in the world. When I bought my XL in April it was one of the few remaining Mario Kart bundles (sold in Xmas of 2012) at Walmart....I got it home and it had obviously been opened and the Nintendo club card was missing...I took it back the next mornign and exchanged it for the last MK Bundle they had and it was new and had the NC card (and I wanted those evil points to get to platinum)......Here if you didn't get a 4.5 you just take it back easy......In other parts of the world looks like its more dicey....hell if I knew they were doing stuff like (selling used as new) that then I would just buy a used one and demand to 'inspect' it before purchase and then check the FW version.

Don't suppose they have anything like Crags List in China/HK? That is another great resource in the US for finding good deals on used...thats how I found a NIB v1.0 3DS for $100 in August (had to drive 40 miles to meet the guy but so what) and also last year got a barely used ps3 phat that was still below 3.55 (the people bought it to use as BR Player then never did) for $160. So many non-techie types on CL selling off electronic they don't use, you can really score great deals on 'modable' machines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real