Hacking BootMII - sd card

steviekeyz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, sorry if this has been asked but I wanted to know if there's a way to use the backup feature in BootMII to a SDCard then putting that backup on my PC just incase my SD card gets corrupt in anyway so I can copy straight back to a working SDcard. I tried it but windows does not read the sdcard when I backed it up, is there a program that can do it? Also I stay away from wads and only stick to the HBC but is there some sort of WAD checker online? a buddy of mine is into the channels much more than the "HBC Look" and that might get him in trouble if hes not careful as many ppl brick their wii with bad wads.

TIA

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format the SD Card to Fat32 before backing up the nand and your PC should read it. I backup up my nand when it was on 3.3, then I copied the nand.bin to my PC. Then I upgraded to 4.0 and backup up that nand and copied it back to my PC. Now I should be able to go back to either.
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There shouldn't be any reason Windows can't read the sd card after dumping your nand to it normally. It's not formatted to anything special like WBFS so I don't know why your pc isn't reading it. As for wad's tell your friend to just be careful with wads and make sure he only uses wads that are confirmed to work. Also if he has bootmii installed to boot2 it shouldn't be a big problem either way.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
put a SD card that's at least 1GB in size with only the (bootmii) directory. After it backs your nand there should be a file on it (nand.bin). That's the one you need to backup.

P.S = WAD's are always bad, even the functional ones.

steviekeyz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I formatted it to Fat32.

I just realized when BootMII asks to format the sd card, six or so "Factory Bad block Markers" messages appear while its backing up.

is this normal?

then it says backup complete and verifying, which it does fine.
I tried to read it in bootmii and it said failed to read dir, so I put it in my PC and NOW I can read it.

THX

formatting it to fat32 worked.

Chaos Punk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course you can store it on a PC, that's what the function of BootMii was created for, being able to back up and restore the NAND, you can keep the file anywhere, I have it on all of my thumb drives (3), my external HDD, and my C drive.

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steviekeyz said:

I just realized when BootMII asks to format the sd card, six or so "Factory Bad block Markers" messages appear while its backing up.

is this normal?

I tried to read it in bootmii and it said failed to read dir, so I put it in my PC and NOW I can read it.

THX

Your Welcome.
smile.gif

aaa666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am having the same problem, i tried the fat 32 at 4096 and my pc still wont read my sd, i just purchased it a 2Gb sandisk china from a 2pack
any help is appriciated

steviekeyz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while researching before i posted, i read that certain cards maybe unsupported...

also I forgot to mention, maybe it will help you. but i changed the sd volume name before attempting it.
probably wont do anything for ya but its worth a shot. figured i'd mention every step i did.

chrisemersonnc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to believe I'm doing something wrong because I've tried 4 cards now (2 of which are specifically on the SD compat. wiibrew wiki pages) and nothing is working.

The cards I've tried are:
  • Sandisk 4GB Class 2
  • Sandisk Ultra II 2GB
  • Sandisk 1GB Class 2
  • Kodak 2GB
  • I have used FAT and FAT32
  • I have tried a few diff cluster sizes
  • The HackMii installer reports everything installs fine every time
  • Files do appear on my SD card
  • However, the Wii *never* boots to BootMii
Other details:
  • I have a Drivekey installed
  • I'm at 4.1u (via Waninkoko's updaters)
  • I have latest HBC installed
  • My Wii is a D2E, LU63*****
Anyone have any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chrisemersonnc said:
I have to believe I'm doing something wrong because I've tried 4 cards now (2 of which are specifically on the SD compat. wiibrew wiki pages) and nothing is working.

The cards I've tried are:
  • Sandisk 4GB Class 2
  • Sandisk Ultra II 2GB
  • Sandisk 1GB Class 2
  • Kodak 2GB
  • I have used FAT and FAT32
  • I have tried a few diff cluster sizes
  • The HackMii installer reports everything installs fine every time
  • Files do appear on my SD card
  • However, the Wii *never* boots to BootMii
Other details:
  • I have a Drivekey installed
  • I'm at 4.1u (via Waninkoko's updaters)
  • I have latest HBC installed
  • My Wii is a D2E, LU63*****
Anyone have any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong?

Bootmii will not start up when you boot the system if you installed it as an IOS. Since your Wii is an LU63 Wii I'm assuming you bought it sometime after mid 2008. If you did you cannot install bootmii to boot2 and never will be able to. All you can do is load bootmii from the HBC by pressing home and clicking on launch bootmii. That is the IOS version of bootmii and does not provide you with any brick protection, however if you make a NAND backup with it anyways, in the worst case scenario where you brick your Wii and can't fix it with any other method, you will still have the option of having a hardware nand programmer put that nand backup back on your chip directly to fix it rather than HAVING to send it to Nintendo.

Also note that the IOS version does not support the power/reset buttons to navigate so it will REQUIRE that you have a GC controller to use it.

cardin

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
steviekeyz said:

is this normal?

THX

After backing up to NAND, I tried to read my SD in bootmii, and it said "Failed to read dir" too!

Is this a problem? Would I still be able to backup the NAND from my SD card? It's the NAND from when my Wii hasn't been violated yet [with patch and sign bug], so I'd really like to keep that NAND. My SD card is not SDHC, has more than 1Gb free space, is readable on my PC, is FAT32.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I think back then it was the same as nowadays