Bluetooth game controller?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Rydian, Feb 24, 2013.

Feb 24, 2013

Bluetooth game controller? by Rydian at 9:40 PM (816 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So I'm looking for a bluetooth game controller for emulation on my tablet (Transformer Prime).

The only thing I can find anymore, though, are PS3 controller knockoffs. Will these actually work with the tablet? Is the battery life NOT total shit? Can somebody link me to the one they have so I don't buy a similar-looking crappy one?

2. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    I've used Wiimotes before, but never tried anything else. I'm sorry I'm not much help, but I know there are solutions like this for those games and emulators that support them.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Wiimotes and PS3 controllers work wonders, so well in fact I've never bothered with other BT controllers. The knockoffs should work ok, but no guarantees really.

4. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    yeah I would say use a PS3 controller too, if your willing to wait a while the Wii-U pro controller will also be an option (already runs on PC's and Mac's)

5. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Alright, just ordered a PS3 controller off some used game hardware site on amazon. Was almost tempted to just grab one of those cheap controllers, but battery life and analog issues were listed in reviews, and I'd rather not buy from China, wait three weeks, then have to buy again.

6. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Wow, "next-day shipping" actually meant next-day shipping this time, and was only a few bucks more. The controller seems legit to my eyes, but they didn't include a cable or anything... at least it's a very common connector so I already have some! And they shipped it charged too.

Bought the Sixaxis thing on the market (after trying the test version of course), and the controller works after changing the master ID thing. Just gotta' see if I can't reduce input latency any and I'll be fine. The mouse mode is kinda' cool, too.

EDIT: And after fumbling around with MotionInJoy for like 10 minutes I was able to get the thing to connect via bluetooth to my PC for testing. No input lag here, so it's something up with my tablet. :( Maybe I need to decrease the polling frequency or not have the tablet in power save mode or something.

7. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Do you have different latency when you use the Sixaxis connected via a cable to your tablet? (assuming you have that type of cable)

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Hooked the dock into the tablet, plugged the controller in via USB, and the latency is noticeably less.

I increased the polling rate in the SixAxis settings (for analog gamepad emulation) to max and that brought the latency down to acceptable levels, but if there's some underlying cause I can fix (as maxing the polling rate sounds to me like it could have negative effects)...