Blu-Rays always letterboxed

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by Subtle Demise, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    For some reason, even though I have and HDTV and the PS3 hooked up through HDMI, my Blu-Rays are always letterboxed and it looks really stupid. I prefer watching the upscaled DVDs because there is no noticeable difference since the viewing area on the Blu-Rays is so damn small. Is there a way I can get them fullscreen and actually enjoy watching them?

PityOnU likes this.
  2. Linkinwormm

Linkinwormm Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2013
    umm, you understand that films are recorded at 21:9 ratio so they will be letterboxed on disc? the only time you get full frame films is when the director remasters the film to full frame viewing like avatar. this isnt a ps3 issue

3. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Some TV's have ratio options to fix this by zooming the image and cropping the edges.

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    First, majority of films are recorded around 2.40:1 aspect ratio. This is the aspect ratio used in theater. Blu-ray makers add black bars to the top and the bottom to make it centered at 16:9 aspect ratio. If they didn't, TV would've stretch the image, making person appeared in the film "thinner".

Hence a 1920x1080 Blu ray can be cropped down to 1920x800.

5. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    sony bravias have a option to remove the borders thank god, i don't like them at all, i like a full screen picture, i don't like the fact that blu rays have a letterboxed image, i guess that is one feature that is good about dvds.

6. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Film aspect ratios:
    2:35/1 which would be very wide screen.
    1:85/1 which most films have
    16/9 which is the IMAX format and full screen on your TV - usually only available on blurays when the director crops teh image, that means you lose parts of the image on the sides.
    i personally prefer the 1:85/1 option but that is just me.

7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I'd rather have the black bars than either of the two alternatives, cropping out a portion of the image by zooming in or futzing with the aspect ratio and making everything look stretched.

I'm super glad blurays show things in the right ratio, and also that they don't put out "fullscreen" and "widescreen" versions like they used to with DVD. So annoying to pick up a DVD off the store shelf then realize you grabbed the one with half the picture missing.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  8. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    DVD uses a techniques called anamorphic. VIdeos are intentionally encoded with the wrong aspect ration, knowing that it will be corrected when TV stretches the image.

For example, in 720 x 480 DVD player would instruct TV to stretch the video into 720 x 540 (4:3 fullscreen), or 853 x 480 (16:9 widescreen).

DVD only allows 720 x 480 or 704 x 480 for 480i. Due to space constraint, anamorphic is used to deliver the right aspect ratio.

9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I know those feels, bro.

Unfortunately, most Blu-Ray's aren't actually 1080p even though the image is 1920 wide.

It's super fucking annoying because my family always had fullscreen CRT's so I always had to watch letterboxed DVD's. I finally upgraded to a huge HDTV earlier this year and went and got some Blu-Ray's thinking "Boy, I'm sure glad I won't have to see those black bars anymore".

Hook it up to watch a film and holy fuckballs Blu-Ray is wider than widescreen.

Fuck you film industry. Are you fucking kidding me?

jalaneme likes this.
  10. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I said it in the previous reply, theater uses 21:9 (2.35:1, 2.39:1, 2.40:1 etc). That is why there is black bar because 16:9 ain't 21:9. You would've to stretch the image vertically to eliminate black bars, but each person in the film will appeared "thinner".

Other option is to buy 21:9 monitors or TVs.

11. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    OR the director and his crew could go through the source and selectively crop the images so that they fill a 16:9 screen without losing any important imagery required for the film.

Am I the only one that remembers this intro on VHS films?

[​IMG]

I mean, seriously, how many people actually own a device with a 21:9 aspect ratio?

12. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    If you're upscaling DVD's to fit your entire tv, you're missing a good deal of the picture.

13. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I agree. Actually on films like Dark Knight the Bluray release contains mix of 21:9 and re-filmed 16:9 scenes.

You have to understand that since theaters use 21:9 while broadcast use 16:9, it is hard to get a solution that doesn't piss off one side.

PityOnU likes this.
  14. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, I understand. :(

It just makes me mad and sad at the same time.

15. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    The 16:9 scenes on Dark Knight are the ones filmed with Imax cameras.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/faq?ref_=tt_faq_sm#.2.1.100

'On the blu-ray DVD edition of the film, they are shown in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio -- any time you don't see the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen, that's an IMAX scene.'

There is a solution that doesn't piss off one side. Use the zoom functions on the tv. Put films out in their original aspect and if people want to distort/cut off parts of the picture, then that is down to them.

driverdis likes this.
  16. shoesus7
    This message by shoesus7 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Aug 22, 2013.
    Aug 22, 2013