Blowing up resolution for retro games.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by potato3334, Apr 9, 2015.

1. potato3334
    OP

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    I notice that when playing gba games using a pc, even when you maximize the resolution, the game still manages to keep its crisp sharp pixels. but when I use a gba emulator on a ps3, the game begins to get blurry around the pixels.

Could someone explain to me how exactly this works and if there's anyway to make the pixels HD on ps3 like on pc?

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    You may have an optio to disable bilinear filtering. This makes the image outputs a nearest unfiltered image, just like what you get on pc.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. tickle.my.pickle

tickle.my.pickle GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    pc emus got some crazy shaders and filters... #pcmasterrace

4. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm pretty sure "HD pixel" is an oxymoron. But like Vins said, if emulators on consoles are anything like those on PC, they have a myriad of options to enable/disable.

5. potato3334
    OP

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    What I meant by "HD pixel" is that the pixel itself is multiplied, making a pixel comprised of multiple pixels stuck together to make one big pixel. Can't really think of a good way to explain lol. But yeah, I'll check out the emulator options

EDIT: okay holy shit, i changed the hardware filtering from linear interpolation to point filtering, and everything looks crisp as fuck. thanks for the help guys