Blocking sony websites

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Magsor, Jan 13, 2011.

Jan 13, 2011

Blocking sony websites by Magsor at 5:38 AM (1,969 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Magsor
    OP

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I want to block sonys website that communicate with my console before i start fiddling in it. It a little bit of paranoia I know but does anyone knows what websites I should block in my router?

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    why not take the system offline?

-another world

3. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Not sure, but I think for it to be connected to the net, it's connected to Sony servers, sorry, but it doesn't matter, Sony can just find out from your ISP, everything you do offline and online gets logged, the moment you put your ps3 online, Sony knows everything.

4. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    And they do that magically? my ps3 is bound to send infos somewhere.
    Its much more practical to have my ps3 online so i can send stuff over ftp and such.

5. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    I don't know how they do it but it's true, it's confirmed, that's one of the problems with hacking, everything gets logged on and offline.

6. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    They can't do that if you go in network settings and disable the internet connection on your ps3.

Of course, they log everything you do offline too, so the second you reenable the internet connection and go online, everything you did since the last time you go online would be sent to Sony.

So in other words, the only way for them to never know anything is to never enable the connection ever again.

7. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Apart from gaming online, why would you ever want the connection enabled?
    All PSN software gets dumped and I don't play online so I have no need to go online ever.
    Once you start messing with the firmware you may as well forget about online. It's not like 360 where just the disc drive's firmware is modified, and challenge responses spoofed, it's the whole console's firmware. Think jtag 360, no one in their right mind would take one online.

8. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you can't block ports with the ps3, it'll keep finding an open port until it establishes a communication

9. Ishi23

Newcomer Ishi23 Newbie

United States
    quote from other site:

On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list, etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
    mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
    nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
    nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
    (main file exchange connections)
    us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
    ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
    dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
    auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
    (destination servers)
    service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
    (Error Reporting)
    creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

This is some of the information sent to them:

>the xml file it uploaded contained all the network devices for my home, plus media server hostnames, identifiers, and mac addresses. weird. and creepy.

> also, when the ps3 finds, at boot, that it can connect to the psn ad servers, but not the update servers, it randomizes the connection port and tries 15-20 more times.

> also, it sends a lot of encrypted data (????)

10. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    Thanks ishi23 seems that having a playstation.net filter does the trick.now i can browse anonimously(at least think i can) [​IMG]
    nevertheless my console does not ask me to update from 3.41 anymore.

11. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Apparently if you run Gaia or MultiMan before you shut down, it clears out the spy files so there's nothing left for it to send to Sony next time you turn it on. Of course, that's just the stuff they know about in the HDD, there could be more hiding in a chip somewhere like with the 360, so still probably should just take it off the network or something.

If you want to stream media without it being able to send info to Sony, you can set your DNS servers in the network configuration to something invalid. It wouldn't let me use 0.0.0.0 like I used on 360, but 1.0.0.0 seems to do the trick. No internet connection (browser won't work, can't send spy stuff to Sony, etc) but I can still stream videos via my media server.

12. Thingula

Newcomer Thingula Newbie

United States
    The only safe way to do the jailbreak would be to:

1. Turn your system offline
    2. Jailbreak your PS3
    3. Use some sort of homebrew app (yet to be made) that will erase or allow you to modify the log

I don't see this happening too soon. That's why I'm waiting to jailbreak my PS3. I'm wondering if there will be a ban wave and if any skilled coder will come out with some type of application to help keep me safe from Sony's watchful eye. [​IMG]

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    So then, in that case, would it be safe to assume cheating online likely won't be too much of an issue for PS3 owners?