Tutorial  Updated

Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

This method has been circulating around since yesterday. Presumably, it was discovered on a Chinese forum.

Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services.

There are some concerns floating around about this process. So here is a complete guide detailing the process.

Disclaimer:
The following guide tampers with your NAND. Use this with caution or there is a good chance you'll MESS UP your Wii U for good, or even BRICK!

Requirements:

• A Wii U & SD: Firmware and SD size doesn't matter as long as you satisfy the other conditions
  • Mocha Or Haxchi
  • HBL on SD card
  • ftpiiu_everywhere (Haxchi) on SD card
  • Access to HBL: Browserhax, Haxchi/CBHC, or any other form of entry point, are all fine. As long as you access it.
  • A PC with FTP Client: Technically it doesn't have to be a PC. It can even be done on your phone with an FTP Client. I'm using the PC for the simplicity of it. FileZilla IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Optional: Use Nand Dumper to back up your nand with all it's contents, as well as dumping the OTP and SEEPRPOM. By having those, you can unbrick your system with a hardmod at any point. Dumping MLC will require a 64GB SD card if your Wii U is 32GB, or 16GB SD card if your Wii U is 8GB.

1A) Using Haxchi/CBHC:
  1. System Menu: Have Haxchi reboot to System menu.
  2. System Menu: Launch HBL via Haxchi or browser.
  3. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  4. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
1B) Using Mocha:
  1. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser.
  2. HBL: Start Mocha (Using default values are fine)
  3. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser again.
  4. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  5. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
2) Modifying your Nand, and blocking updates:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Locate "update" folder, right-click it and Pick "File Permissions". Make sure it's the same as the screenshot below. If it's not the same, then make note of that. You will need it if you want to enable updates later. If it's the Same, then proceed to the next Step.
    384072-FTPiiU.PNG
  4. PC: Delete “update” folder.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. A few seconds after it starts and the progress bar appears, it should give out this error code: 105-3012. If the progress bar actually continues to move, TURN OFF THE WII U IMMEDIATELY!! Recheck your steps, cause something went wrong.
3) Unblocking updates:

If for whatever reason, you would like to return the Wii U to it's original updating state, start by following "1A)" or "1B)" of the guide, then proceed to the next step of this section:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Create “update” folder. Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
  4. PC: When you originally did section "2)", if your permissions were the same as the screenshot in that section, enter those same permissions here. If not, then you should have noted them down somewhere. Enter those values instead, then click ok.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. It should proceed to update normally.
Credits:
@fejich for being the first to notify us about a Chinese website doing this method in this thread
@Shaoxudong for translating the process, and testing it.

Last edited by Madridi,

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
well did this , but now i cant play zelda botw or smash bros anymore , it ass me to update the system in order to use the software , i'm on 5.5.1 , any idea how to get around that ?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
well did this , but now i cant play zelda botw or smash bros anymore , it ass me to update the system in order to use the software , i'm on 5.5.1 , any idea how to get around that ?
This has NOTHING to do with deleting the update folder. It's likely asking you to update the games, which requires latest firmware, or to use NNU-patcher (which is what you should use here)

Deleting the update folder, and therefore being unable to update, doesn't mean you get to use anything the latest fw has to offer

KsAmJ

Trophies
XP
what to do if the update already has been downloaded and waiting to be applied ???
any chance to remove the downloaded files as i have already removed the update folder but i check if there is any files inside and it was empty
i am afraid it would happen alone any moment

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's strange that the update wasn't in the update folder.
maybe there is a "download" folder, before extracting files to update folder before installing them?

there's a browser exploit (or maybe homebrew too?) to delete already downloaded update files, you might want to run it, just in case.
I don't remember the URL, I thought it was on loadiine.ovh but didn't see it.

KsAmJ

Trophies
XP
there's a browser exploit (or maybe homebrew too?) to delete already downloaded update files, you might want to run it, just in case.
I don't remember the URL, I thought it was on loadiine.ovh but didn't see it.

Any ideas where I can find such homebrew???

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Any ideas where I can find such homebrew???
Visit my hosted exploit on your Wii U:
https://madridi7.github.io/WiiU/
There was also a hbl version but I can't find it atm

That being said, I never tried this, and I heard mixed reports about it working. So be careful with every step you take

Reactions: mostafa and KsAmJ

EvilGoku

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question if Nintendo know that there is no folder (Name "updates") and they create one folder and then updates my console
It is possible ? sorry for stupid question

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I have a question if Nintendo know that there is no folder (Name "updates") and they create one folder and then updates my console
It is possible ? sorry for stupid question
How would they know without a system update applied to the system telling it to do such a thing?

Last edited by Madridi,
Reactions: KsAmJ

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this yet but I will post it up just to be extra careful for others, who may go ahead and do what I just done below.

My wiiu is spoofed to v5.5.2 and I have the update folder deleted just the same as the instructions in the op. Now my rednand is still on v551 and to see I ran the update in system settings in rednand and it actually went ahead and updated as it should properly, no error popped up so I switched my wiiu off asap and then found out the "update" folder had reset again in fillezilla app on the actual main systemnand I only found this issue out because I thought I best check to see if it had not gone back to its original state so I had to go through the deleting of the update folder process again as in the op. So yes if you go and decide to try and update in rednand like I did which is pointless really, double check to make sure you go back into systemnand and delete your update folder again through ftpiiu everywhere. The reason why I was doing this in the first instance was to see if I could take the dns servers off in rednand/system settings, which of course I could not else it would of fully updated and reset the update folder in systemnand and then that would of fully updated by itself and it was a good job I checked this out before I turned my wiiu off.

Last edited by Reecey,

johsam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now with the new 5.5.2 exploit have anyone recreated the update-folder and updated to 5.5.2 or isn't it worth the effort?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not worth the effort, and you'd get a bad browser hack instead of a (relatively) good one.
all games are working fine with 5.5.1, the only issue is you need NNUPatcher to access eShop / update games.

you can update to 5.5.2 and downgrade the movie player of the browser to get the better browser hack entry point.
but you need CFW (haxchi or CBHC) installed or you'll semi-brick.

If you want to update, first install haxchi or CBHC, or you'll have issue doing it once on 5.5.2
once you updated to 5.5.2, delete the update folder.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Madridi

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
So now can some one confirm if this allows to connect to the ESHOP? Or more specific if it is possible to play Need for speed U online with this method? the DNS blocking method breaks Online for NFSU

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
So now can some one confirm if this allows to connect to the ESHOP? Or more specific if it is possible to play Need for speed U online with this method? the DNS blocking method breaks Online for NFSU
Nothing is blocked using this method. This only deletes the update folder so the system CANT download it if it wants to.

Of course you'd still need to use NNU patcher if you are on a lower fw than the latest to connect to eshop or online play.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
is it bad programming practice for nintendo to check if 'update' exists, if it is an directory and not a file, and then if something is not right - recreate the folder...?
strange. but glad that this works :)

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
is it bad programming practice for nintendo to check if 'update' exists, if it is an directory and not a file, and then if something is not right - recreate the folder...?
strange. but glad that this works :)
If you think this is bad programming, you should check what contenthax is :P

Reactions: cearp

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
why for delete "Update" Folder must be run mocha ?

if i dont run mocha what might happening ?
Well, if you tried it you would know the answer yourself :)

You will need to run either mocha or haxchi. You won't be able to connect to ftpiiu_everywhere to delete "update" folder without running those.

Try it yourself. Connect to ftpiiu_everywhere and go to the directory mentioned without running haxchi or mocha. You will get an error :)

Reactions: mostafa

mostafa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Well, if you tried it you would know the answer yourself :)

You will need to run either mocha or haxchi. You won't be able to connect to ftpiiu_everywhere to delete "update" folder without running those.

Try it yourself. Connect to ftpiiu_everywhere and go to the directory mentioned without running haxchi or mocha. You will get an error :)

thanks for answer

i dont trying for this method (with or without) mocha because I'm afraid of the brick

this method has will work on 5.5.2 firmware ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.