Block Internet but keep FTP access

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DjoeN, Feb 17, 2011.

Feb 17, 2011
  1. DjoeN
    OP

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Sorry if this is posted already, just remove the post then, i didn't find it.

So here is the way i prevented my PS3 from accessing the internet (and sending data to Sony) but keep it available for FTP
    You can also configure your router to prevent it, but since mine has a problem with changing settings, i used this methode:

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    do you enter these settings on the ps3? or on your pc?

3. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    PS3. But how would a subnet mask of 1.1.1.1 work...? Your standard subnet mask for a Class C IP address (especially if it's just your standard 192.168.x.x) is 255.255.255.0. Essentially, as long as you set your gateways/DNS to false IP addresses (254.254.254.254, for example) then you won't be able to connect to the internet. Static IP will still work, and your PS3 will be able to communicate across the LAN, but it can't go out across the Internet due to not knowing how to, essentially.

4. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Just leave the subnet at 255 255 255 0

Frankly, you probably don't even need to mess with the default gateway/router, just the DNS should do it. I set primary DNS to 1.0.0.0 and leave secondary at 0.0.0.0, but anything invalid should work.

5. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    ok, i will give it a go tomrow.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Just configure your setting as if you want to go to internet, but use a fake Gateway instead of your router IP. solved.
    ex. 192.168.0.0 instead of 192.168.0.1

If you want to set internet access on a case by case basis, add a proxy option with the IP set to your computer IP, port 8080.
    Launch any PS3 proxy on your computer when you want internet access on your PS3.
    I like "ProxyServer CF3B5" but there are many other now.

-Charles Web debugging Proxy : good one, but I never used it. user defined settings and url redirection.
    -FuckPSN : used to bypass PSN only, no user settings. don't use it you will be banned from PSN.
    -Logan5 Tool : proxy server to prevent update checking, used to bypass PSN. No user settings
    -ProxyServer CF3B5 : Good one, user defined redirection so you can fake the available firmware version to prevent update. Activity log.
    -PS3Prox : Good one, same as CF3B5, user defined settings and URL redirections + activity log
    -PS3PROXi : same as CF3B5 but not stable, hang a lot.
    -Simple PS3 PRoxy : I didn't test it, needed a .ocx file that I didn't installed. no user settings to replace URL manually. just give your current fw to prevent update.

7. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    nah i don't want to go online cause of all the warnings right now, i just need to use the ftp for my cfw ps3 without the console "phoning home" btw some of those proxys you have mentioned don't work anymore apart from the charles and fk psn one.

8. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yes, I know they don't work for accessing PSN, but I'm using it to fake the available firmware version (as I'm still in 3.41), so it doesn't ask me to update every time. I never used PSN, I don't have any online games (I'm more into solo RPG or adventure).

Just use a fake router IP to prevent Internet access completely but keep the LAN access for ftp.

9. DjoeN
    OP

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    oeps, yeah i used 250.250.250.0, that one works, i mistyped there while reading something about 1.1.1.1 on my second monitor.

250.250.250.0 works flawless, but like you said, you can keep it on 255.255.255.0

10. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    If it works, I see no problem in using it since you won't be getting online anyways... however, you're switching around host and network bits in the subnet mask for no reason. [​IMG]

11. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Doesn't work for me. The PS3 gets an IP, but when I try to connect to that IP via FTP a connection cannot be established.

12. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    cant you block the ps3's mac address on the router?

13. UnseenHero

Member UnseenHero The UnseenHero

Canada
    I can do this if I want to access my FTP on PS3 for a little bit of time so change something around then put it back to normal so i can play online? [​IMG]