Hardware Black Top Screen

SeVeR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my problem is that, for some reason, the top screen of my 2ds isn't showing anything, yet the brightness does increase and decrease when I change the brightness. Is this a hardware or software problem? Can I buy something to be able to fix it myself?

Attachments

• 20181125_171634.jpg
    20181125_171634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but I did have homebrew.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nope, before the thing started, I hadn't even thought of opening it.

CFW/Homebrew won't cause one screen not to work, only would cause both screens not to work if you ran into NAND problem, your NAND seem to be fine, did you ever dropped the unit?

SeVeR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW/Homebrew won't cause one screen not to work, only would cause both screens not to work if you ran into NAND problem, your NAND seem to be fine, did you ever dropped the unit?
It lightly tapped a table and then shut off, then when I turned it back on, the problem started

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It lightly tapped a table and then shut off, then when I turned it back on, the problem started

Loose wire probably, if you are good with electronics then you can try opening it, worth a shot anyway since it is 50/50 that you might have a loose wire.

SeVeR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loose wire probably, if you are good with electronics then you can try opening it, worth a shot anyway since it is 50/50 that you might have a loose wire.
I did, I removed both of the screen connectors and reinserted them, but it still doesn't work.

Last edited by SeVeR,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but thats like halve the price of a used 2ds for a project not everyone is up for
This is true for those who aren't good with their hands, but @SeVeR mentioned reconnecting his cables. He's halfway there with the disassembly part. I try to see things in terms of what is salvageable and long term preservation. The 3DS systems will one day be antiquity like its forerunner the Game Boy. Gotta preserve as many as these as possible and have fewer needlessly ending up in landfills.

SeVeR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Letting you all know, the screen does respond to brightness, as when I increased the brightness from 1 to 5, since the bottom screen works, the top screen gets brighter, like it is normal, but it doesn't show anything but black.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Letting you all know, the screen does respond to brightness, as when I increased the brightness from 1 to 5, since the bottom screen works, the top screen gets brighter, like it is normal, but it doesn't show anything but black.
It is possible that the backlight is fully working but the actual LCD not. Is is a little strange - the two screens of the 2DS are actually only one screen. If the bottom screen fully works, no strange colors or lines on any screen, this does not sound like a cracked panel. As if the screen just did not get the video signal. No idea what this could be. Maybe the ribbon cable is torn a little (I had this on an old Nokia cellphone: after one drop on the floor to much, the ribbon was damaged. Had the opposite effect: The LCD worked but no light).

If it's really heavy cracked, you can see it directly even when it's turned off. As extreme example the upper screen from an O3DSXL (no, it was not me, who did this to the poor screen).
cracked_upper_screen_o3dsxl.jpg
Check the connector on the mainboard. If it looks good, I would replace the screen if I were you.

SeVeR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, my bottom screen became darker when the incident happened, and it still is darker than normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko: