Black screen when loading Wii games (USB Loader GX)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by UnobtaniumGamer, Aug 17, 2018.

1. UnobtaniumGamer
    OP

UnobtaniumGamer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2016
    I've been trying to get Warioware: Smooth Moves to run on my Wii from USB Loader GX. It shows up in the menu, but when I select start it freezes my Wii on a black screen and disconnects the controller. I have to hold in power to force a shutdown. I've tried multiple video options and other miscellaneous settings, but nothing has worked.

(2019 EDIT: In case anyone is stumbling upon this with the same issue, it was just the USB stick I was using. I found a much bigger 32gb one that works like a charm.)

Last edited by UnobtaniumGamer, Feb 21, 2019
  2. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Syscheck, please?

3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Are you using a hard drive or a flash drive?

4. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
  5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
  6. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    WBFS Manager
    IOS 263 Installer and cIOSX rev20b
    (I'm assuming these are old cIOS stuff.)

The guy who wrote the article probably either copied the details from an old guide or hasn't softmodded his Wii in years.

7. UnobtaniumGamer
    OP

UnobtaniumGamer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2016
    I can't access my Wii right now, but I'll post a Syscheck as soon as I can.

Flash drive. I don't even own a USB hard drive TBH

8. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    just search this forum and see how many flash drive problems this year
    that guide has a read count of 4000+ in just 5 months - that may be part of the reasons why we have all these problems

9. UnobtaniumGamer
    OP

UnobtaniumGamer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2016
    Got a syscheck.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    That looks fine. I'd suspect the drive.

11. UnobtaniumGamer
    OP

UnobtaniumGamer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2016
    For anyone wondering, I got it working, but not in the way you'd expect. In fact, I just fucking gave up and bought another copy of Smooth Moves off Amazon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    263 doesn't even exit. it's 236, the person who wrote that guide is either suffering dyslexia, or supposedly made it awful so people only have issues, without never being dangerous.

I didn't thought this year's Flash drive issues rise might be because of new external guides promoting it. that all make senses now.
    we didn't have enough of all those bad youtube tutorials...

uno : be sure you plug your drive in USB Port 0 (the bottom USB port).
    plugging in the wrong one can end in black screen like that too.

But, I suspect your issue is the flash drive.
    Do you use cIOS in the loader, or IOS58 ? (settings>loader's settings>loader's IOS)
    if you use IOS58 it might explain :
    - why it can list games from USB port 1
    - why it doesn't work when launching a game (losing flash access because cIOS is not compatible, AND/OR losing Port1 access with cIOS).

yeah, buying an official game disc is a solution! don't forget you can still make a dump of your own disc to launch it from an USBLoader. (easier and faster to list games than disc in my opinion).

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 23, 2018
  13. UnobtaniumGamer
    OP

UnobtaniumGamer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2016
    I actually tried both 249, 250, and 58 in the loader. Every time I used the port on the bottom (or left from my perspective, the one closest to the edge of the console)

14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if the loader could init the drive and detect the game when you used 249, it should have work when launching the games.
    it could be another issue than the hardware compatibility, for example if the .wbfs file is write protected it could be an issue on FAT32 partitions (no idea why. I should let the loader change the attribute of the file before launching it).

or maybe it's really the hardware's fault, it seems writing to flash drive is freezing (you can't download covers, or dump a disc to flash), and when you exit the loader it's writing the settings to a file. you have your homebrew's settings on SD or flash drive ? just to narrow the problem and exclude possibilities.

15. JordanB500

JordanB500 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    hey sorry for the necro i have a usb hard drive that has the same issue but i get a dsi error and have to reset hwnever selecting wii games for display the drive's contents are too large to store on my computer for a format and error check completed fine so idk what to do

Last edited by JordanB500, Oct 5, 2018
  16. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    HDD are never too large on computer, unless you still have WindowsXP 32bit and your drive uses GPT ?

by "same issue" do you mean only "black screen" ?
    because black screen is so widespread that you can find 2 thread per page, with different causes. so, it's not really the "same as this thread", it can be one of the other blackscreen thread's cause.
    without proper explanation and setup, we can't help you.

17. JordanB500

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    allow me to clarify when selecting wii games to display in usbloader gx i get a black screen with a dsi error that auto-reloads in 20 seconds or by pressing the a button on a wiimote/gamecube controller(loads the homebrew channel) IMG_20181005_062618[1].

18. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    oh, you talk about "that" black screen, ok.
    thank you for the error screen, now I would need the exact revision number of USBLoaderGX you are using to be able to find where the bug is located. (every new compilation produce different DSI dump values).

based on the very few information you gave, I think the problem is the partitions on your drive.
    USBLoaderGX has a bug if you have 2 different partition format on a GPT drive.
    for example :
    MBR (FAT32+NTFS) = works
    GPT (FAT32 + NTFS) = crash
    GPT (FAT32 + FAT32) = works

You said your computer can't list the drive, so I suspect it's because it's too big, if it's bigger than 2TB it's using GPT, which old computer can't read.

So, maybe that's your problem.
    in that case, there's no quick solution to that :
    - format the drive to single partition
    - format the drive to multiple partition, but using the same format (2x FAT32, or 2x NTFS, etc.), don't make odd partition number.
    - hope there's a fix to that bug in USBLoaderGX, but I didn't have time to fix it yet, I don't know how much It'll take for me to work on it. you better reformat your HDD using a compatible computer.

before formatting, please, just let me look into your DSI crash screen, I'll look if it's what I think or something else.

19. JordanB500

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    what i meant was i cannot store the usb hard drive's contents on my computer's internal hard drive because there is not enough space to store the contents in case i need to re-format my usb hard drive

i have usbloader revision 1268

the entire partition is fat 32 with wii games in a wbfs format using wii backup manager

i believe it is due to some error or something i missed as it was working fine and only recently started giving the black screen in addition i was told that using the "sync fat 32 fs info" would sometimes fix the problem as it did the last time this occurred, is it possible that one or more of the wii games has been corrupted and this error in some way is because of that?

also now that i think about it my secondary internal is large enough to store my whole wbfs folder so if it is one of the games i could simply copy games until im left with one or more games that are faulty my wbfs folder is 118 gbs in size so it would certainly take a while

i used the wiimfi patcher on a few games would that have caused it?

20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    wiimfi itself is not the cause. the loader doesn't check if other games are patched or not when you launch a game.
    FAT32 sync is not needed, unless you use very old homebrew (2009-2010) to delete files on your FAT32 partition. the old FAT32 library had a bug, and the HDD was slower to Init/mount the partition. it has nothing to do with launching or reading a file, only how long it takes to mount the partition.
    new homebrew don't have this bug anymore, and therefore that option is not needed (and should have no effect).

I analyzed the error log you posted.
    it's related to the sound file. Apparently it crashes when trying to load a file on the partition.
    - are you using custom sound ? (themes, or MP3 player feature of the loader)
    - Are you using an SD card or every files used by the homebrew located on USB ?
    I think using an SD card could fix the problem, if you have sound file on USB the loader crashes when de-initializing the USB ... but not the sound file currently played.

That's funny, because it's a very old issue, and nobody had it recently. we talked about that bug with Greywolf last week, and today you have it.
    debug log, following code dump

@GreyWolf, you can confirm, it looks like multi threading issue with the currently played sound file?
    libfat > cache > MP3 > sound > soundhandler > lwp

Last edited by Cyan, Oct 5, 2018