TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I followed all the steps to mod my newly purchased Wii by updating to the 4.2 firmware and modifying the firmware using this guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I finished modding, it was working great, I was running a bunch of homebrew. But then I'm not sure what happened. After I tried installing USBLoader_GX and ran it, I got a black screen. I am now unable to run any homebrew.

I can load The Homebrew Channel and it shows all of the apps on my SD card, but when I try to load an app, a status bar flashes briefly on the screen and then it goes black. The remote loses connection, and the only way to get back to the system is by doing a hard reset.

I have tried formatting my SD card multiple times (with both FAT and FAT32) and copying my apps back, but I'm still getting the black screen. I cannot boot directly from the SD card either, I get the black screen with that too. I can't run any homebrew apps except for BootMii.

In BootMii, the SysMenu info says "4.2U boot1? boot2v4" and the NAND FS usage is 61.8%. This is a brand new unit I am modding, I had to install BootMii as IOS. If I press home while in the Homebrew Channel the numbers at the top are 1.0.6 and below that IOS 61 v21.29.

Anyone know what the problem could be? I'm thinking it could be a bad SD card, in which case I was going to return it to Best Buy. But maybe it is a software issue I can fix... Should I try restoring the NAND backup I made?

Any help would be appreciated.

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlackAce83 said:
Follow this guide to re-hack\ re-install your cios, i think thats your problem

edit: i'm sorry i didn't realize you had already posted this guide,

Well, I tried to follow the guide again to rehack it, but didn't get very far. When I extracted the update.rar file to my SD card, I tried running Bannerbomb by going to Settings > Data Management > Channels > SD Card only there was a question mark on the file where the Bannerbomb icon should be. I could not run it (only move, copy or delete). This leads me to believe that the SD card is corrupted/defective, because I ran Bannerbomb fine the first time. That is likely what is causing the black screen with my other homebrew. I am going to exchange the card for a new one at Best Buy tomorrow. Will post tomorrow if it works or not.

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just exchanged the SD card for a new one, and I'm still getting the black screen.
wtf.gif
So, it wasn't the SD card. The next thing I'm going to try is to restore the NAND from the backup I made.

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheAntipop said:
I just exchanged the SD card for a new one, and I'm still getting the black screen.
wtf.gif
So, it wasn't the SD card. The next thing I'm going to try is to restore the NAND from the backup I made.

Go ahead and try that.

Maybe the bannerbomb files are corrupted?

Try re-downloading them.

Or you can try formatting your SD using SD Formatter v2.0 from here:

SDFormatter v2.0

~modmystuff~

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
modmystuff said:
TheAntipop said:
wtf.gif

Go ahead and try that.

Try re-downloading them.

SDFormatter v2.0

~modmystuff~

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried formatting the card with that program and it didn't help. Still god damned black screen. I also tried re-downloading homebrew, but same thing. The last option I can think of is to restore my NAND from the backup, however since my BootMii is installed as IOS, I am getting the following message when I select the option to restore NAND:

"BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it"

I can still go ahead and do this by pressing 4 buttons at once, but I am really hesitant to. Can anyone think of any other options before I try this?

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheAntipop said:
modmystuff said:
TheAntipop said:
wtf.gif

Go ahead and try that.

Try re-downloading them.

SDFormatter v2.0

~modmystuff~

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried formatting the card with that program and it didn't help. Still god damned black screen. I also tried re-downloading homebrew, but same thing. The last option I can think of is to restore my NAND from the backup, however since my BootMii is installed as IOS, I am getting the following message when I select the option to restore NAND:

"BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it"

I can still go ahead and do this by pressing 4 buttons at once, but I am really hesitant to. Can anyone think of any other options before I try this?

No, there is no other option in the case that you are in. I found out that it is SAFE to restore with Bootmii IOS as long as you make sure your power supply is ok, and that you don't turn off your Wii during the process.

~modmystuff~

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh.... shit. I didn't know you needed a GameCube controller to press the four button combo. Now I have to go buy one on eBay.. That sucks! Was this really necessary by the coders of BootMii?

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheAntipop said:
BlackAce83 said:
Follow this guide to re-hack\ re-install your cios, i think thats your problem

edit: i'm sorry i didn't realize you had already posted this guide,

Well, I tried to follow the guide again to rehack it, but didn't get very far. When I extracted the update.rar file to my SD card, I tried running Bannerbomb by going to Settings > Data Management > Channels > SD Card only there was a question mark on the file where the Bannerbomb icon should be. I could not run it (only move, copy or delete). This leads me to believe that the SD card is corrupted/defective, because I ran Bannerbomb fine the first time. That is likely what is causing the black screen with my other homebrew. I am going to exchange the card for a new one at Best Buy tomorrow. Will post tomorrow if it works or not.

shouldnt u b accesing the sd from the main system menu if u r on 4.2 , not from data mgmnt?

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you updated to 4.2 you probably have a stubbed ios....

Try this:
Run Any Title Deleter MOD and choose IOS36 and press A. Navigate to System Titles and press A. Find IOS 222, 223, 249 and 250. Press A twice to uninstall them.

Then find IOS 249.wad via NUSD and install it

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zeedds said:
shouldnt u b accesing the sd from the main system menu if u r on 4.2 , not from data mgmnt?

I tried both ways, but neither one worked (I get a question mark for an icon, when I try to load it says this is not a valid Wii program or something similar). That is Bannerbomb from the ntscupdate.rar file, however if I extract the modify.rar file to the SD card instead the Bannerbomb icon shows up but when I run it I get the black screen. I know it's not a corrupt file or SD card because I ran Bannerbomb from ntscupdate.rar when I first modded it and it worked. I also just exchanged the SD card for a new one and it is doing the same thing so I am ruling out a bad card.

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jazvdb said:
Since you updated to 4.2 you probably have a stubbed ios....

Try this:
Run Any Title Deleter MOD and choose IOS36 and press A. Navigate to System Titles and press A. Find IOS 222, 223, 249 and 250. Press A twice to uninstall them.

Then find IOS 249.wad via NUSD and install it

The problem is, I can't run Any Tile Deleter since it won't run along with all other homebrew - I get the black screen of death no matter what I try to run (EXCEPT for BootMii, which works). I don't understand what happened, everything was working fine until I tried installing USBLoaderGX from an installer EXE. It must've fucked something up.

Posts merged

QUOTE(jazvdb @ Nov 30 2009, 02:45 AM) You only get a black screen when you load homebrew apps right?

Right, except BootMii.

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jazvdb said:
Any Title Deleter MOD

And yes there is a difference between Any Title Deleter and Any Title Deleter MOD

Yes, I just tried ATD MOD and as expected, got the black screen. There's something inherently wrong that prevents running homebrew apps. But how can I re-install cIOS without being able to run homebrew? I ordered a GC controller from eBay, when I get it I will try to restore NAND backup, but until then I guess I am SOL.

rontonimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since it is Sunday the thrift stores are probably all closed, but come Monday you can find one of the controllers you need at a thrift store or goodwill for cheap. Don't mess with it any more until you can restore with the controller.

TheAntipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rontonimo said:
Well since it is Sunday the thrift stores are probably all closed, but come Monday you can find one of the controllers you need at a thrift store or goodwill for cheap. Don't mess with it any more until you can restore with the controller.

Yeah, I just ordered one on eBay since it was the cheapest I could find it ($8.95 including shipping). Now I just have to wait for it.

BTW, I forgot to mention that right before I started having these problems, I installed IOS36-64-v1042.wad (which was supposedly required by USBLoaderGX). I am convinced that this is what screwed things up (someone else on another board installed the same WAD and is having the exact same problem). Just a heads up for anyone considering installing it.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
depends on the age of your wii, cause that IOS36 you installed is a extremely old version, and is not compat with newer wiis which will cause apps to black out, a simple official update with nintendo should fix that though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.