Black screen on emunand boot

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by C Dale, Mar 5, 2017.

1. C Dale
    OP

C Dale Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2015
    United States
    I always update my emunand when new updates are available. It keeps the nagging at bay if anything else. I've never had any problems until now.

Yesterday I applied the newest update, rebooted and browser hacked into rxtools like normal. Now, anytime I select boot to emunand it just loads into an empty screen.

Sysnand is unchanged, it is still on version 7 something. I have no problems getting into rxtools or working while in it. I hacked my 3ds back in January of last year and haven't messed with it since. It's still using the old exploit of browser hacking into rxtools. Rxtools is on the same version that was out a year ago.

I'm trying to fix this without losing my game saves. Like I say I haven't modified the firmware in over a year. I'm not using Luma or A9LH. Anyone have suggestions?

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    What was your CFW before the update?

3. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    They're still using rxtools. They haven't changed CFWs.

4. C Dale
    OP

C Dale Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2015
    United States
    Yeah I haven't made any modifications since early last year. I do remember that the Luma guide was released literally a week after I went through the then-current rxtools method.

I can't remember the cfw version. I hacked my gf's 3ds at the same time using the same method and it's still completely in tact.

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  6. C Dale
    OP

C Dale Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2015
    United States
  7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    RxTools isn't installed, it's just some files on your SD card. You can delete them or leave them, it won't matter. The files and folders you want depend on your entrypoint. Look at the article carefully and it will tell you which ones depending if you use menuhax, browser, or DS profile exploit.

8. C Dale
    OP

C Dale Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2015
    United States
    I must really be missing something. I've followed the guide, but still boot right into RXtools and then boot to a black screen on emunand. For the record, the browser hack link I'm using is still https://dukesrg.github.io/?rxtools/sys/code.bin because I've never been instructed to change it anywhere (Incuding the Luma guide). That's probably the problem, however assuming it's not then lets walk through the guide step by step.

• Always copy arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of the SD. You don't need to do anything else if you're using ARM9LoaderHax. - Done
    • If you're using menuhax/browserhax/any other *hax that displays the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the contents of the hax folder to the root of the SD. - Done, I'm using browserhax and I simply copied the files.
    • If you are using menuhax and want to boot Luma3DS directly without a boot manager/the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the boot.3dsx from the menuhax folder to the root of the SD, overwriting the existing one. - I'm not using Menuhax
    • If you're using browserhax without the Homebrew Launcher, or the mset (System Settings) hack, also copy the Luma3DS.dat from the mset-spider folder to the root of the SD. - Done
    • If you're using the mset (System Settings) hack, also copy the Luma3DS.nds from the msetfolder to the SD of your DS flashcart, and run it to install the ROP. - Does not apply in my case
    Starting from 6.0, the luma folder will be created automatically. - I loaded Luma 6.6
    Starting from 5.0, you don't need firmware.bin anymore. - Does not apply

To boot 3.x-4.x NANDs, you need to load FIRM from the SD card. - I don't know what this part means
    Download this file and rename it to firmware.bin, then this other file and rename it to cetk, then copy both of them to the luma folder. -Did not do because it's written as a next-step to the above sentence.

Last edited by C Dale, Mar 11, 2017
  9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Your problem is you're not doing any of the things listed. You should find out how to use homebrew, then boot into it and choose Luma. You can set up menuhax if you wish also.

Delete all the rxTools files so at least if you accidentally do something that can only boot rxTools, you'll get an error.