Hacking Black Screen on boot after Omega 2.4b update - help

xam5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3ds xl. Sysnand is 4.4 or 4.5. It was running Gateway 2.3 and emunand 8.1 perfectly.

Last night I copied the 2.4b launcher.dat onto my 4gb SD card, booted the 3ds, launched Omega, went into the eshop, was prompted to update to 9.x. Upon completion of the update, the system restarted and encountered two black screens.

There is no back light, no wifi light, only the blue light indicating that the system is on and an orange light if I am charging it. I cant get any further than the black screens.

I've also opened up the system removed the battery, made sure the wifi is properly connected and put everything back together, still black screens.

The system has never been dropped. I have a backed up sysnand but did not make a back up of the emunand.

I searched this forum and maxconsole, and could only find this 'wall of text' that resembles my problem:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/help-3ds-xl-black-screen-of-death.367683/

Thank you in advance.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a 3ds xl. Sysnand is 4.4 or 4.5. It was running Gateway 2.3 and emunand 8.1 perfectly.

Last night I copied the 2.4b launcher.dat onto my 4gb SD card, booted the 3ds, launched Omega, went into the eshop, was prompted to update to 9.x. Upon completion of the update, the system restarted and encountered two black screens.

There is no back light, no wifi light, only the blue light indicating that the system is on and an orange light if I am charging it. I cant get any further than the black screens.

I've also opened up the system removed the battery, made sure the wifi is properly connected and put everything back together, still black screens.

The system has never been dropped. I have a backed up sysnand but did not make a back up of the emunand.

I searched this forum and maxconsole, and could only find this 'wall of text' that resembles my problem:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/help-3ds-xl-black-screen-of-death.367683/

Thank you in advance.

Can you boot up sysnand correctly?
If so, double check your Lancher.dat. Try deleting the one you have and copying the 2.4b AGAIN :)

xam5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant boot up sysnand. The system hangs on the blackscreens upon boot. I tried deleting and recopying launcher.dat several times but have had no luck.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
try this
Hold L + R + (dpad) UP + A while powering on the console, it should take you to the update screen, but from what i have read about this issue there is no way of recovering....But! seeing as you have a nand backup you may be able to get the nand restored to recover

xam5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried holding L + R + UP + A while powering the console, no update screen. If there is no way to recover from this issue, can someone recommend a repair service. Im in the US, Los Angeles area.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I tried holding L + R + UP + A while powering the console, no update screen. If there is no way to recover from this issue, can someone recommend a repair service. Im in the US, Los Angeles area.
i dont think there is any guaranteed recovery, but get in touch with hundshamer he offers the nand restore service and is US based, i would say its worth a shot

in regards to what you did wrong, probably nothing at all, the issue has happened to quite a few people even on legit systems.....i think its just a issue with the 3DS and the possibility of the FW being corrupted somehow, i think it was more common on older FW versions and with gateway being tied to 4.x the issue is more likely to happen for gateway users

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country

.... You updated from the eshop?...

Afaik that does update the sysnand instead.... and maybe that triggered somethign else that fucked up and gave you that..

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
well I always heard that it should have at least updated his sysnand to 9.0 , and maybei n the process something else broke as emunand was in action

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh i think i tried updating in emunand via eshop once and it worked fine....but idk maybe i never got around to testing that....but it could potentially be a issue with updating to 9.x via eshop, its always recommended you update via system settings

Reactions: yuyuyup

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
You shouldn't update via the e-shop, I have read a few times before that it updates your SysNAND too.

I didn't have to press L+R(+UP+A) to update my Gateway?
And I came from 2.3b with EmuNAND 8.1 too, so you might just be good if you can restore your SysNAND, which luckily for you, is easier to do on an 3DS XL. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You shouldn't update via the e-shop, I have read a few times before that it updates your SysNAND too.

I didn't have to press L+R(+UP+A) to update my Gateway?
And I came from 2.3b too, so you might just be good if you can restore your SysNAND, which luckily for you, is easier to do on an 3DS XL. :)
no the L+R+UP+A is a system shortcut to the system update screen, for some people with the black screen error it let them run updates via that, but the system still would not turn on, leading me to believe its caused by some sort of software damage more than a hardware issue

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
no the L+R+UP+A is a system shortcut to the system update screen, for some people with the black screen error it let them run updates via that, but the system still would not turn on, leading me to believe its caused by some sort of software damage more than a hardware issue

Ah excuse me, thanks for clearing that up.

D

Deleted User

Updating through eshop works if you are on emunand already. So i don't think OP was in emunand to begin with ?

Anyways, even updating sysnand shouldn't result in black screens. No idea what went wrong here but never seen this happen before

xam5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in emunand. After booting Gateway, I made sure to go to the blank game icon, pressed select and was presented with the correct game selection screen, afterwhich I went to the eshop and performed the update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked